Thursday 19 May 2011

Walter Ross Memorial 10k Race

Any thoughts that I may have had of not running in my second race of the day but listening to, or watching, the football instead, were quashed as soon as I turned on the car radio and discovered that my team, Kilmarnock, were being beaten by Rangers 0-3 after about eight minutes. Once the decision was made, I turned off the radio to rid myself of any negative thoughts and concentrated on getting from Strathclyde Park to Pollok Park in time to register for the Walter Ross Memorial 10k Race, which commenced at 1:30pm.

There were no problems in getting to Cartha Queens Park Rugby Club in time to register and I warmed up as I made my way along to Lochinch for the start of the race. Although the event was held in the same park as yesterday’s Dick Wedlock, the route was very different. My Gamin battery was low, so I decided to run ‘watch naked’ and enjoy the race. I lined up near the back of the 31 runners alongside Marie McChord and the organisers set us on our way back towards Cartha for the first of the two lap race. It wasn’t long until Marie had left me behind and Phyllis Hand was overtaking me. As we turned right onto Dumbreck Road, Kilmarnock’s Kate Todd passed me and Steve Cullen settled in behind me. Another right turn and we were back into the park and soon running along the route of the local parkrun. I noticed that Kate was catching up on Clydesdale’s Bobby Young, who then surprised my by stopping. However as I approached Bobby he set off again and left me behind. I was still being pushed on with Steven on my shoulder and although not running flat out, I was still working hard. As we finished the first lap, Steven upped his pace and overtook me. There was no change in position for me in the second lap, as I kept Steven in sight and couldn’t hear anyone behind me. I was tired but the supporters kept me going and it was particularly nice to get words of encouragement from race winner, Kerry-Liam Wilson, and Killie Captain, Les McDerment as they warmed down along the route.

I crossed the line in a, much slower than usual, time of 47:26 to claim 24th place and was happy with my performance. After the post race banter, we headed into the warmth of the Club House, where I rewarded myself with a pint of Guiness and the winners received their prizes. Kerry had set a new race record by finishing in an amazing time of 31:53, to win the Men’s Race, whilst Wee County’s Beryl Junnier, became the first winner of the new and impressive Women’s Race Trophy, with her time of 37:59.


It was around 3pm by the time I got home, a bit late for brunch, so I settled for a late lunch instead, before heading back to bed for a much needed rest.

Full Results

No comments:

Post a Comment