Tuesday 3 May 2011

The Big O, My 70th parkrun and a Govanhill Gait

After a hard week of training and a hard day avoiding that waddin' (the man o' independent mind, he looks an' laughs at a' that) I relaxed a bit too much on Friday evening when I noticed a Roy Orbison Night on BBC4.  Armed with copious amounts of pinotage wine and goats cheese, I settled down to watch the Big 'O'.  I very seldom drink on a Friday but it was the holiday weekend and I thoroughly enjoyed my little soiree.

I was to pay for it on Saturday morning when I woke up red eyed and furry tongued in time for the Glasgow parkrun.  I really wasn't fit to run and a cold shower and cup of coffee didn't really change that much.  However my training plan had me down to do a four mile tempo run and the 5k around Pollok park with a warm down would help me get it out of the way and hopefully sober me up a little.  Of course there's also the added incentive of meeting up with running buddies and enjoying coffee and chatting in the Burrell after the event, much more civilised than nursing a hangover in bed and feeling sorry for yourself!

I joined in with another 331 runners, including long time absentee Jim BuickNorman Boyle and Clare Barr who had decided to run this week, rather than just come for the apres run.  Norman, Clare and I are about the level but there was no way that I was in a fit state to give them, or anyone else for that matter, a race.  My one and only target today was to try to get around the course without vomitting!

There was a strange atmosphere at the Glasgow event this week, as the legions from Bellahouston Harriers, who add so much to the event, were attending their annual training weekend at Glenisla.  A number of regulars were enduring the Highland Fling, whilst others no doubt were enjoying the long weekend with families and friends.

After the briefest of warm ups, I joined the assembled throng of parkrunners and we set off down the road in front of the Burrell. 

I completed the first, easiest kilometre, in a time of 4:30 but started to feel the effects of the previous night as we entered the woods and the first of the hills. I was content to stick to the far left and allow other runners to pass me. The usual runners banter was taking place but there was no way I was getting dragged into a race! I had enough problems combating the negative thoughts that were trying to convince me to walk for a bit and/or to just do one lap today. I was trying hard to concentrate on a positive mind frame but it took me until the third kilometre to convince myself. There was no going back at that stage and I managed to increase the pace and work my way through the field to cross the line in a time of 23:12. I afforded myself a dry smile, when I was handed token number 100. I exchanged congratulations with the runners around me and filled my lungs as I made my way to the finishers’ queue to hand in my barcode and token.


Although some people were disappointed with their performances, I was happy enough to finish in the top third and to complete my 70th parkrun without either stopping or vomiting. Clare, on the other hand, had did really well, continuing her recent fine form at Strathclyde and Edinburgh parkruns, she placed third woman with a course PB of 21:03. Under 14 Junior, Chloe Cowan and Super Veteran, Pam McCrossan earned Gold and Silver, with 20:26 and 20:34 respectively.

In a day of relatively few PBs, Keiran Docherty and Miles Hollinshead were among the few, as they crossed the line in second and third place with PBs of 17:07 and 17:12. (The first runner home was not recorded as he had no barcode).

Other performances worthy of a mention include: Gerry Scullion, fifth in 17:42; Bruce Carse, sixth in 17:44; Al Maclachlan, who ran his 80th parkrun, and placed 11th in 18:37; Barry Edwards, 20th with a PB of 19:38, first timer Gerry Dodds of Kilmarnock arriers who placed 79th with 22:10 and Mary Senior, who placed eighth woman, with a PB of 22:24. Congratulations to you all and to everyone else whom either ran or supported the great event.


After recovering my composure and joining in the post race chat, I headed off with Clare to do the rest of my four miles before a quick change and joining the others for coffee and chitchat.

Full Results

Photos

Volunteer



Govanhill Gait

In the afternoon I took advantage of the combination of good weather and the local Streetland festival to take some photographs in and around Govanhill, including the local pool.(Music by Adam MacNaughton)





https://picasaweb.google.com/103982290613967941991/Videos

No comments:

Post a Comment