Thursday 5 May 2011

May the Fourth of Clyde @ Troon

May the Fourth and all roads lead to Troon. It was a glorious sunny late early evening as I drove down the M77, listening to the Inverness CT v Celtic game on the radio, sipping my energy drink and hoping that the sun would go down by the start of the 26th Troon 10k road race.


I arrived in plenty of time but the place was already swarming with people, as Troon also holds a couple of junior races before the senior event. I collected my race number and chip, chatted with loads of running buddies, got changed into my running gear and still had time for a decent warm up and stretch before lining up for the Start. I last raced at Troon in 2009 when the conditions were horrendous: wet, wet, wet and windy, windy, windy but this evening the weather was almost perfect. The sun had gone down, as I had hoped, there was a bit of a breeze but nothing to complain about. Last year the event introduced chip timing and runners assembled in waves according to their estimated finish time. I lined up in the 40-45minute wave, just in front of Tom Keenan and was joined just before the off by Clare Barr.

Less than a Mile (Tom McMillan on my Shoulder)  pic by Kenny Phillips

As we set off along the sea front, I was amazed at the support from the locals. I had been impressed with the turnout, despite the weather two years ago, but this evening dwarfed that as half the town seemed to be cheering us along the front.

Clare and I ran along together, joined by Kilmarnock Harrier Matt ‘Toast’ Ferguson, for the first kilometre or so. Despite the wave system, the race was still busy and we had to jostle in and out of runners in front of us. I was pleasantly surprised when Garmin bleeped to inform me that the first k had taken 4:11. I knew I needed a pace of 4:13, or better, to get a PB but there had been nothing in my post injury, truncated, training from 10th April to indicate that a PB was on the cards. This was reflected in the second kilometre, which saw us turn a sharp left and head along Craigend Road, when both Clare and Toastie left me behind and my pace dropped to 4:22. I was a bit surprised and disappointed as I thought that I was maintaining a steady pace. Along the perimeter of Troon Golf Course we ran and then the route vended right along the, wonderfully named, Isle of Pin Road. I was now running behind a trio of Giffnock women who were scattered in front of me with the other runners. I recognised them all as good runners and thought that if I could hang on to them I’d be doing all right. Wrong! The third kilometre had taken 4:31! I increased the pace straight away, catching Giffnock’s Hilary Miller as I did. Sheila Lewis and Doleen Galbraith were in my target range as we joined Wilson Road but every time I got close to them, they seemed to increase their tempo. My Garmin must have lost satellite contact in the woods, as there was no beep as I passed the 4th and then the 5th k. A quick glance at the half way mark indicated a time of 21:54. As I approached the water station, I could see Clare running to the left to avoid those taking a drink. I thought about doing the same but decided to wet my mouth and pour the rest over my head to cool/refresh me a little.

As we ran along the dog leg which is Ottoline Drive, I could see Toast, Clare and Paula Wilson in front. Remembering that it was a Kilmarnock Harriers Championship Race, I decided to go for Toast. I was feeling quite pleased with myself for catching him so soon after that but this didn't last long as Springburn’s Captain Tony McGale passed me, running the race of his life.

I kept working away along Harling Drive and Golf Crescent as the locals lent their support. I kept a couple of the Giffnock girls in sight but Hilary disappeared into the distance as we made our way along Fullerton Drive. At the 8k mark we climbed over the railway bridge and turned a sharp right to rejoin Craigend Road and retrace our footsteps back to the Start. I increased the pace a bit and the penultimate kilometre took me 4:19. There were now a few more shouts for: ‘Ian’, ‘Killie’ or ‘Kilmarnock’ as I made every second a prisoner on my way back along the South Beach promenade.  I crossed the line in a chip time of 43:25, a 21:31 second half and a negative split. (Gun time 43:35).

Eyes Shut on the Final Strait - pic by Kenny Phillips
Paula had finished in 42:39 (42:44); Clare in 42:40 (42:50); Hilary 42:50 (42:57); Sheila 42:58 (43:05); Tony 42:54 (43:07); Doleen 43:06 (43:15); Tom McMillan 43:50 (44:01) and Toast in 44:12 (44:24).

I placed 175th out of 925 finishers although it would have been great to get a PB, with less than a month back training it was always going to be nigh impossible, however I had run my fastest 10k this year, my fourth fastest ever and my fastest on this course, so all and all a decent outing.  Furthermore my Heart Rate averaged only 150, so hopefully room for more effort.


Congratulations to all that took part, the organisers Troon Tortoises, their volunteers and sponsors and to all the good folk of the Burgh of Troon for making it such a great event with their fantastic support. It really is much appreciated.


Results

Photos




No comments:

Post a Comment