Saturday 21 May 2011

Glasgow parkrun. One, Two, Three!


After having ran four races last week and having the 14k M74run on Sunday morning to look forward to, followed by the Kilmarnock HarriersChampionship Race – the Land O’ Burns 10k on Wednesday and the Clydebank 10k on Thursday, I decided to run but not race the 123rd Glasgow parkrun on Saturday morning.
I had a quick look into the assembled 366 other runners, to see if I recognised anyone who may appreciate a pacer before taking my place.  I couldn’t see anyone who fitted the bill, so instead I decided that I would start off as usual before slowing down and then speeding up for the final kilometre.

I ran the first kilometre in 4:16 and then settled down to average 4:37 for the next 3k. I increased the pace as I turned left at the Glade and completed the last kilometre in 4:09.  Richard Leyton was one of a number that I overtook as I stepped up a gear but fair play to the man behind the Glasgow parkrun, as he came back in the final strait to pip me just before the line.  However I was happy with my run and my time of 22:15.

After a warm down it was back to the Burrell for the post race coffee and chat.  My table also ‘volunteered’ to sort the 367 tokens back into numerical order.  One of the many vital activities which usually go unnoticed in the background but all help ensure that the event runs smoothly on the day and remains the success that it has undoubtedly become.

No comments:

Post a Comment