Thursday 26 May 2011

The Watter Came Doon in Auld Ayr

Summer Running in Ayr
My ancestors invaded Ayrshire around the Twelfth Century, when the Vikings with their golden locks arrived. The locals soon referred to them as the ‘Goldies’, or in Scots the ‘Goudies’. In the 1840s the Irish immigrated to the County in large numbers and some fifty years ago, Glaswegians regularly invaded the Ayrshire Coast on their annual pilgrim ‘doon the watter’. However it was the good people of East Kilbride who swarmed to Auld Ayr on Wednesday 25 May, to take part in the second Land o’ Burns 10k Road Race. Some 20 runners, wearing the distinctive black and yellow stripes of Calderglen Harriers, lined up menacingly at the Start of the race. They joined with the rest of us as the bagpipes shrilled, the wind blew and the rain pelted down upon us.  Or as Rabbie penned:

The wind blew as 'twad blawn its last;
The rattling showers rose on the blast;
The speedy gleams the darkness swallow'd
Loud, deep, and lang, the thunder bellow'd:
That night, a child might understand,
The Deil had business on his hand.


At 7:29 the local Provost, Winifred Sloan, set us on our way, northwards along Seafield Drive. About half a kilometre along we turned left into Seafield Road and I could see that Kerry-Liam Wilson was already out on his own at the front of the race. Another left turn and we were now parallel to the Start line and running southwards, into the wind, along Church Road. The sea was on our right hand side but I didn’t even notice it as I concentrated on keeping Kilmarnock Harrier Paula Wilson in sight. I was surprised when Calderglen’s Julie Beveridge stormed ahead of both of us.

Ayr’s running legend Toni McIntosh shouted encouragement from the pavement as I completed the first kilometre in a time of 4:04. I was some 18 seconds faster than last week at Helensburgh but I knew that the Ayr course had a faster start. The second kilometre took us to the end of Church Road, up and over a pedestrian bridge and along Castle Walk. The wind was having an effect on me, my pace dropped to 4:32 and Paula was already a good bit in front. We ran around a field and onto Greenan Road as the course took us around the Doonfoot housing estate. A well wrapped up Lynsey Cooper, shouted words of encouragement as she directed us down Greenan Way, where a left turn took us onto Abbots Way. The third kilometre had taken me 4:25 and Paula was, just about, still in sight. The kilometre markers were not coinciding with my Garmin, so I decided to ignore them.

We turned down rightwards onto Earls Way and Killie’s Matt Ferguson ‘Toast’ was on my shoulder. I increased the pace a bit and managed to hold him off, before turning left onto Dunure Road. The 4th K had taken me 4:31. Another left turn and we were on Scaur o’ Doon Road and heading back towards the seafront. Yet another left, took us back onto Greenan Road, a sharp right took us onto Earls Way and another one back onto Castle Walk. The 5th K had taken 4:17, a 5k time of 21:49. However, as usual, I was confident of a negative split.

Back over the pedestrian bridge and a sharp right took us along the path beside the Doon River. A couple of sharp left turns and we were running along Cunning Park Drive, where a right turn took us onto Gearholm Road, where I managed to catch Julie Beveridge, before turning right, back onto Dunure Road. The 6th K had taken 4:22. I had a Girvan runner in my sights as we ran southwards before turning left and uphill, along Greenfield Avenue. I overtook him but he came back well. There was a big gap between him and the next runner, so I decided to sit in behind him, as we ran up along the narrow pavement. The 7th K had taken 4:36. A car went past and Lynsey, I think, shouted my name. I’m sure the Girvan runner was slowing, so I decided to make my break as we reached Burns Cottage. I passed him as we turned left onto Alloway Street but the 8th K had taken me 4:42.

I was now 53 seconds behind my Helensburgh 8k time!

I was running on my own now and decided that I would try a new tactic. I started to count 1 to 10 repeatedly and concentrated on this. A left turn took me onto Chapelpark Road. Although the 9th K took me 4:03, my fastest kilometre of the evening, I could hear footsteps behind me. I successfully negotiated the steps into the park and turned a sharp right. Race winner, Kerry-Liam Wilson, shouted me on. A sharp left turn and I looked up to see the Finish line but it wasn’t there! They had moved it since last year and I had another length of the park to run. I was tired but there was no way I was going to let anyone pass me at this stage. I was determined and, as Killie Captain Les McDerment complimented me on my effort, I gave it my all and crossed the line in a time of 43:00 (tbc), a final kilometre of 3:28!   I had made up the 53 seconds in the last 2k.
Coming Home - pics by Kenny Phillips
I must admit that I wasn't looking forward to the race but I suspected that I would be fine when it got underway.  I felt really good running along on my own for the last 2k, now if only I could keep up that pace for 10k.

With no chip timing, Ayr is a Gun Time race.  My Gun Times were: Troon 43:35; Helensburgh 43:20; Ayr 43:00?   My time last year had been 45:11.


Official Results to follow

Thanks
Huge thanks to all that turned out on such a night to make the event another success.  I felt a bit sorry for the organisers, marshals, photographers and supporters as the weather was much better for runners than spectators.

No comments:

Post a Comment