Tuesday 31 May 2011

Sad Sweet Dreamer

One look at the weather forecast for Saturday 28 May, predicting heavy rain and gale force winds, was enough for me to cancel my plans to drive to Edinburgh and run in my first ever 5000m track race. Instead I went for the easy option and decided to run my 95th 5k instead.


Going through the motions......pic by Scott.Rutherford
I joined with 336 other participants, including fellow Kilmarnock Harrier William Duffy, in a tree strewn Pollok Park. Well done to the Park Staff for managing to clear the paths in time for the event after the strong winds of last week had taken their toll. At 9:32 we were on our way heading downhill alongside the Burrell Car Park. I had warmed up and stretched well in preparation for my race, however after about 300m, I could tell it just wasn’t going to be my day. I felt shattered and legs felt tired, I actually felt like quitting and given myself a rest. However I reminded myself that it’s only a 5k and kept plodding away. I was surprised when Garmin indicated 4:16 for the first kilometre, as I felt that I was running much slower. There were one or two weel kent faces not too far in front, including Martin Myant, so I must have been doing OK. However as the race progressed the gap increased and I found myself struggling a bit.

Garmin revealed that my 3rd k had taken 4:45 and, although I know it’s inaccurate in the woods, it was enough to give me some incentive to increase the pace. Martin was a good bit in front and about nine places ahead. I set myself the target of decreasing the number of runners between us. By the time that we were hurling ourselves down the final strait, I was just one place behind him. However a youngster, Lewis Ramage, appeared from nowhere and sprinted past me at an unbelievable speed.


Martin placed 72nd with a time of 22:03, Lewis was 73rd in 22:04 and I was 74th in 22:06. Willie Duff had placed 59th in 20:21.


It was far from my worst time but I’m afraid I didn’t enjoy it. I guess we all get off days, this was definitely one of mine.  It's just one of those things that you put down to eperience.


Results

Photos

No comments:

Post a Comment