Friday 27 May 2011

I Couldn't Resist Clydebank

Although I had pre-entered the Polaroid Series Clydebank 10k, I hadn’t actually decided if I would run it or not. My legs were still tired from Sunday and Wednesday and I have the Masters 5000m race on Saturday. At 6pm I had decided not to run it but at 6:15 I was heading out the door and Clydebank bound. I realised that with my racing, I hadn’t had any time for training this week. I planned to rest on Friday ahead of Saturday’s race, which meant Thursday evening would be my last chance for a training session. I might as well combine it with the Polaroid Series race, I thought.

I chose to leave my Heart Rate Monitor at home and to wear training shoes and vest, rather than my racing shoes and club vest, to keep my mind in training mode. I met up with loads of running buddies at the Playdrome before heading out for a warm up with the Motherwell Belles. After a few stretches I made my way, further back than normal, into the assembled 1,000, or so, runners. After, what seemed like an eternity, we were off and running down behind the town’s shopping centre. Well I say running, it actually took me 23 seconds to reach the Start line and even then the assembled masses were walking. We did get a wee chance to run before we turned left and into the first bottle neck, there was another one at the bollards a little further ahead and we had to wait until 0.3k before we could run unimpeded. Of course it didn’t bother me in the slightest as I was just out for a run.
Smile When You're Running

My first kilometre took me 4:46 and I was happy enough running at that pace. Unlike the night before it was a warm dry night and I took advantage of the water station to have a little drink before pouring the rest of the water over my head. I was enjoying my run and taking the time to encourage other runners and thank the marshals. The first 9k took me 42:19, an average pace of 4:42.

I decided to up the pace a bit for the final kilometre and was surprised to find myself overtaking, amongst others, Fiona Ramsay who had finished so well at Helensburgh only last week. The final kilometre took me 3:59 – that will explain why I felt so tired at the finish- giving me a Chip Time of 46:18 and a Gun Time of 46:41. I placed 334 out of 815 finishers.  This was my fifth time running this race and it wasn’t my slowest, so all and all a decent training run. I’m glad that I decided to do it.

Too Fast to Photo at the Finish !
Once again thanks to all concerned: organisers; marshals; photographers; supporters and most of all my fellow runners. It really is great to be a part of the Scottish running community.

Results

Photos by Kenny Phillips and Gerry Gallacher


No comments:

Post a Comment