Tuesday 31 August 2010

The Strange Case of the Paisley 10k

Nine thirty pm arrived on Saturday night and brought with it Mr Hyde. "Why race tomorrow?" He asked. "Remember how tired you felt after Irvine? You have the Glasgow Half next week, take a weekend off. Have some wine and snacks and watch Wallender and the football programmes, there will be plenty of other chances to run the Paisley 10k".

I found his arguments to be persuasive and decided to follow his advice.
However when I awoke on Sunday, I couldn’t resist the temptation to make my way along to Paisley. As soon as I arrived in Scotland’s largest town and caught sight of other runners making their way to the Start, I knew I had made the correct decision. There’s something about the expression on other runners faces as each and every one of them has a different reason for participating in a race. Paisley is also a bit special in that the race starts and finishes in the town centre itself. The organisers make a day of it with various other activities taking place and Rock Radio providing the music.


1k down 9k to go. (pic by Bryan Lamb)
It’s a chipped race, so unless you are seeking a Power of 10 recognised time, it doesn’t matter too much where you start in the field. I started quite far back, just in front of Calimero, and it took us some fifteen seconds to cross the Start line, encouraged by the theme track to Chariots of Fire. The first lap does a lap of the town centre, skirting around the outside of the Town Hall and Paisley Abbey before heading up Moss Street and leftwards onto St James Street and then Underwood Road. The route then turns right, along Greenhill Road and past St Mirren’s new football stadium.
It was one of those bright autumn mornings, warm in the sun but cold in the shade and very windy. I was glad that I was wearing my sunglasses as I made my way along heading into the sunshine. My first kilometre had taken 4:34 and I was comfortable at that pace, so I decided to go for just under 45 minutes. The first part of the race was very congested and it didn’t really settle down for about one mile. My second kilometre had taken 4:29. However by the time I reached Ferguslie Park Avenue, I had settled into my run. My third kilometre had taken 4:32. I was slightly surprised to overtake Halfways, as I know that he has been running at 45:30-46min 10ks of late. After sharing brief words of encouragement I headed along the road avoiding the mass of runners on the pavement. My pace had slipped a little, clocking 4:35 for my fourth k. We ran into Barskiven Road and I spied Clydesdale’s Watson Jones ahead and decided he would be my next target. My fifth k had taken 4:30, a total of 22:39 for the first 5k but I was feeling great and was extremely confident that I would have a sufficient negative split to get me under the 45 minute mark. We did a U turn on Linwood Road and briefly caught sight of the runners slightly down the field. I exchange waves with Calemero and then words of encouragement with Watson as I passed him. The sixth k had taken 4:33. I knew that the course included three kilometres on the cycle path before heading back into town for the last kilometre, so I wasn’t surprised when the route turned right onto Baronscourt Road. A sharp left took us onto Darkwood Crescent, under the railway bridge and a sharp right onto the cycle path. It was then slightly uphill, a tight left turn and then a steeper climb over a Main Road bridge before we settled into running on the cycle path. The seventh k had taken 4:35 and had climbed 15 metres but we were now in the shade and sheltered from the wind. I could see Slacker Runner ahead and made him my next target. I grabbed a small drink of water from the drinks station and increased my pace. I was surprised to catch him so easily, as I know that he is a sub 44 minute 10k runner. However I had caught him at a similar stage in the recent Kilbarchan Klassic. The next club runner I focussed on was David Logan of Giffnock but he also increased his pace as I chased after him. The eighth k had taken 4:22. In the meantime I targeted BRR Alex Lawther and then Kilbarchan’s John Eagers before finally catching David. The penultimate kilometre had taken 4:20. I knew that the last kilometre had a bit of a climb up past the West of Scotland University and the local Museum and Art Gallery before heading downhill to the Finish Line. The next club runner I could see was Kilbarchan’s FJ17 Elaine Eadie but she was nine places ahead of me but it didn’t take that long until I caught her opposite the Museum, she sounded as if she was working really hard climbing the last hill. The streets were thronged with supporters as I made my final push to the Finish Line. I managed to catch a total of fifteen runners in that last kilometre. I could hear a few voices calling my name as I reached the first of the many mats, which caused some confusion as to where the actual finish line was. I sussed that it must be the last one and stopped my watch at 44:20. A final kilometre of 3:47 and a 5k of 21:41, representing a 58 second negative split. I placed 164th out of 1123, 12th in my category and with a wava of 70+%. Perhaps more importantly I had really enjoyed my run and was so glad that I had decided to do it.

Last Few Metres (pic by Bryan Lamb)

I collected my medal, t-shirt, water, banana and goody bag and congratulated the women runners chatting in front of me, including: Jill Knowles, Jennifer Telford, Michelle Sandison and Claire Thompson. I collected my kit bag and had a chat with Jim Breen and Tom Keenan (aka Halfways) re the merits of having a balanced approach to running, including alcohol. Tom then realised that he had achieved a new PB, having taken six seconds off of his previous time to finish in 45:27.  Congratulations to Richard Leyton who also achieved a PB, completing the course in 43:25.   Fellow Kilmarnock Harrier, Brian Darroch, on the other hand, had been under the weather and finished in 46:03, with Gillian Dunwoodie finishing in 55:58.

I had a chat with, Women’s Race Winner and International Triathlete, Kerry Lang and third placed man David Millar as I made my way back to the car park and homeward for brunch and Sunday papers.

Results
Route
Videos
Photos

No comments:

Post a Comment