Thursday 5 August 2010

Dundonald Highland Games

Off we go.....  (pic by K Phillips)
My third race in three days was the Dundonald Games Road Race, this event used to be unique in that it was a 10.5k long but it’s been run over the more conventional 10k distance in the last few years. A bit of a shame as it makes it just another hard and hilly 10k road race. However it’s a Kilmarnock Harriers Championship Race, which is a good enough reason for me to participate in it. I’ve also got a bit of a soft spot for the town, having happy memories of the place and family connections to it.


When I left Glasgow the sky was grey and the rain was pouring down, however as I made my way down the M77 to Burns’ Country, I was greeted with blue skies and bright sunshine. There was a decent turnout from the Harriers, in particular the men’s section, and the other Ayrshire clubs: Irvine AC; Troon Tortoises; Ayr Seaforth and Girvan were all well represented. Other club runners, a number of Killie Striders and the unattached made for a successful event.

Just before 7:30pm the 100 plus runners lined up in the main street, next to the town’s famous Castle, and without much ado we were sent on our way heading uphill as we headed out of town. I had checked my previous results and knew that I needed to finish in under 44:14 to achieve a Course and Season Best time. This equates to a 7:07 pace. I knew that the course was undulating on the back road up to Symington and then downhill and a long flattish section before climbing back into the town and up beside the Castle before finishing on the grass.

I started cautiously but was soon aware of my legs feeling heavy and tired as I made my way up the initial hills. My other target for the night was to beat fellow Harriers’ Brian Darroch and Tom Wyper but it wasn’t long until I found myself off the pace as they opened a sizeable gap on me. My first mile took me 7:20 and I was starting to think that tonight was going to be one race too many. I knew that the hills weren’t as hard as the ones I do in my hill work training sessions but they were still taking their toll. The second mile took me 7:18 and I was now well behind on my race plan. Not only that but a pack of about five or six runners passed me at this point. I recognised one of them as Troon’s Ian McNee, who ran a bit erratically at the recent Girvan Half. Furthermore I could see that Tom was still a good bit ahead and Brian much further in front of him. I knew that the next hill, taking us into Symington, was the most difficult one but it was also the last one of any note. I caught up with Ian as we entered the scenic village, he tried to strike up a conversation but, without wishing to appear rude, I wasn’t up for a chat. I turned left and was surprised to see Tom right in front of me. I caught up and passed him at 2.8 miles. I then caught the next member of the pack, who asked me if we had passed the 3 mile mark, “not yet” I advised her, “that’s a pity” she said disappointedly, as I passed her on the way out of the village. The third mile had taken me an unbelievably slow 7:57!

I overtook the rest of the pack, apart from one, as I focussed in closing the gap on Brian, who was still a good bit ahead. The last of the pack was Troon Tortoise Natalie Fleming, who wasn’t for letting me pass her. We ran together until the water station. It was a hot night and the sun was beating down on us so I decided to take some water on board. However I noticed that they were just filling up the cups as we approached and allowed Natalie to take the first cup as I waited momentarily for the second one. I had a quick drink and poured the rest over my head before catching up with her again. We approached the next runner, a woman in a pink top, who ran into the field on the right for presumably a quick Paula moment.

Smile for the camera as the Finish Line approaches (pic by K Phillips)
I was glad that I had chosen to wear my running shades as we ran straight into the bright sunshine and a strong headwind, as we continued along the long drag back into Dundonald. The fourth mile took us 6:52 and the fifth 6:57. All the time we were catching up with Brian and as we approached the 6 mile marker and the first houses on the outskirts of the town we caught up with him and I pressed ahead leaving both Natalie and Brian behind. Encouraged by the locals, I ran up the main street before turning left into the Castle grounds. Up hill a bit and then a right turn and a sharp left took me along the shingle path to the playing field where a final dash over the grass took me across the finish line in a time of 44:09.

Big Finish from Natalie (pic by K Phillips)
I collected water for both myself and Natalie and we thanked each other for our mutual support during the race. Natalie was rewarded with the second woman prize, the first time that she had ever won a running prize. I then congratulated Brian, who had struggled over the last part of the route but had still managed to achieve a Seasonal Best as did the Killie Captain, Connell Drumond. Killie’s Kate Todd won the first FV45 prize and I had achieved my targets of beating Brian and Tom and recording a Course and Seasonal Best, with another 70+% (71.3) wava thrown in for good measure.

I then joined in the cheering for the amazing Hazel McFarlane and her running guide Anne Noble as they ran the final strait. I then noticed an old friend Emma Lunan finishing the race too, which was a bit of a surprise as I hadn’t seen her for over three years. When we chatted I learned that in that time not only had she had two children but she had got a new job in Ayr and had moved from Glasgow into Dundonald.


It was soon time to head back to Glasgow for a cold bath and some protein in the form of fromage de chèvre and of course accompanying vin rouge.

Results 

No comments:

Post a Comment