Friday 6 August 2010

Garcube Gallop Big Hill Walk

Early Start (pic by K Phillips)
My 170th race in recent years was to prove to be one of the toughest. My legs were still tired and stiff from the previous three nights’ exertions and the hills in Dawsholm Park were just too much for me on the night.


A healthy turnout from host club, Garscube Harriers, swelled the ranks which lined up in the park to take part in the third Tour of Clydeside event, the Garscube Gallop Multi Terrain Race. I was surprised to see that Westie’s Chris Upson and Ellie Homewood weren’t there as the organisers sent us on our way at 7:25pm.

The start of the three mile trail race lures you into a false sense of security as it is slightly down hill on a tarmac road in the middle of the park. However it wasn’t long until the excellent marshals sent us up the steep trails to our right. A sharp left turn and a right turn took us along the edge of the park, with outstanding views over the city. I was already feeling tired, as my Tour competitors: Erica Christie; Bob Young and Jim McMillan all increased the gap in front of me. I just didn’t have the energy to keep with them. The course then took us down hill a little, where we veered left, along a narrow trail, before a sharp right took us back onto the tarmac road. A sharp left took us back onto the trail and down our first set of steps. Further down we went, another set of steps and a quick right took us along beside a stream. Slightly uphill we ran before a very tight left turn took us up a recently built set of steps. The Garscube Harriers kids section and their coaches were here, shouting support to their club mates in front and behind of me. Off to our left we ran as the trail started to get steeper. The race organisers had kindly painted ‘big hill’ on the ground and a little later ‘puff and pant’. I resorted to walking a few steps here to try to get my breadth back and my heart rate down. I wasn’t the only one though and as we crossed the tarmac road, the supporters and marshals encouraged us to run. We were now back at the point where we had initially joined the trail and made our way up the remainder of the hill walk/running. At the top I managed to increase the pace again but unfortunately as I ran down hill my lace came loose and I had to stop to tie it. Around the course we ran again. As I approached the ‘big hill’ I was surprised at this stage in the race to hear someone running fast behind me. However all was revealed when Chris Upson overtook me. He had obviously missed the start of the race. This time I only walked a few steps on the ‘big hill’, as I chased after the tall ‘Westie’ in front of me. As we ran along the highest point of the course, I wasn’t surprised to be overtaken by Ellie Homewood, who usually travels with Chris. I did manage to increase my pace a little to catch the ‘Westie’ (Paula Cowan) and to have a decent enough finish on the tarmac road.
Late Finish (pic by K Phillips)

My total time was 25:11 and my splits were: 8:12, 9:07 and 7:52. I was shattered but I had completed my fourth race in four days. I congratulated the other runners and confirmed with Ellie that the race had indeed started a few minutes early. After my cup of water I headed homeward for a long ice bath before heading out, still frozen, for a few pints of a well known Irish stout.

I was pleasantly surprised to later discover that, although my wava was only 58%, I was the first Fetchie to finish and had in fact earned a new PB!

Results Here
Course Route - supplied by Chris Upson

No comments:

Post a Comment