Tuesday 3 August 2010

100, 25:25, 50…………Cycle with the Wind

Glasgow parkrun
I ran my 51st parkrun as part of my 5 mile general run on Saturday and finished in 100th place, just behind Gillian Armour and in front of Jenny Healy, with a time of 25:25….. spooky!
Congratulations to Al MacLachlan in joining the elite band of 50 parkrunners.

Long Run - Get on your bike!
My training schedule had me down for a 20 mile run this weekend and a half marathon race next weekend. I had intended to switch them around and to participate in the Helensburgh Half on Sunday morning. However the demons set in on Saturday night and for some reason I just didn’t feel like running on Sunday. However after watching the European Championship’s Men’s Marathon on Sunday morning, I jumped on my bike and headed for a longish cycle. I decided to make my way up hill to the relatively new Whitelee Windfarm, the largest onshore wind farm in Europe. I’ve spotted it a few times from the A77 and M77 and contemplated visiting it. I wasn’t quite sure how to get there but after cycling some 25 km along the A77 cycle path and the Eaglesham Road and climbing some 300m I arrived at the visitor centre.

I was impressed that they had a covered cycle parking area and showers too. The exhibition was free and the café had great views of the windmills. I had a look around and a well deserved coffee and sandwich before heading downhill back towards the A77. I had a chat with a runner, as he made his way homeward along the cycle path, before leaving him and heading home for a very late brunch. A total cycle of some 50km hopefully made up for, at least some of, my missed run.

Photos here

Route on Garmin Connect.

No comments:

Post a Comment