Saturday 7 August 2010

Belter of a Run to end Five Race Week

Here we go again - lap 2

The Tour of Clydeside fourth and final event: The Bella Belter/Brian Goodwin Memorial 10k Road Race, was to prove to be a hell of a lot more enjoyable than the previous night’s disaster at the Garscube Gallop.
I noticed my ex neighbour and recent Bellahouston Harrier recruit, Angela Campbell, making her way towards Pollok Park and stopped to give her a lift.  I’m sure she will benefit from her training with Bella and go from strength to strength.   When we arrived at the race HQ, Cartha/Queen’s Park Rugby Club, the car park was already very busy and the race was set for a bumper turnout. 
After the usual pre race chit chat and wee warm up, we lined up on the road in Pollok Park, facing anti-clockwise.  The race previously has been run in the opposite direction but I pointed out last year the folly of having so many runners setting off down the busy Dumbreck Road and give the organisers credit for responding so positively.  Host club runners and parkrunners help to swell the ranks to over 100, although I did notice that fellow Killie Harrier David Mitchell was not amongst them. 
I found Erica lined up at the front of the runners and tucked in just behind her.  As we set off at 7:32pm, the class athletes shot off ahead of us and I set the pace ahead of her.  We were two minutes into the race when I found myself already running on my own.  I briefly though about going with the pack ahead of me but I knew that the runners in it, including Ellie Homewood and Alan Dempster,  were faster than me, so I decided to run at my own pace.  As I approached Pollok House for the first time David Mitchell was there and commented that I was running well.  I was feeling pretty good but I knew that there was a long way to go.  Garmin informed me that I had run the first mile in 6:46.  If only I could keep that up for six miles, I’d be a happy runner.  The route climbs slightly at this point until the junction for The Burrell and then goes downhill slightly and through the gate onto Pollokshaws Road.  I could tell by the cries of the host club’s marshals that Erica was right behind me as I made my way along the course.  The second mile had taken a disappointingly 7:11 to complete.  I was surprised at that pace to be leading Erica. 
We made our way along the outside of the park on Dumbreck Road, I had to avoid a few overhanging branches but kept my determination and completed the third mile in a slightly improved time of 7:08.  “She’s catching you” shouted Bella’s Iain Burke and I knew that Erica was still on my shoulder.  Back into Pollok Park and lap two commenced.  I knew that there would be no surprises and tried to widen the gap between us.  The fourth mile took me 7:02 and I was now concentrating more in catching the runners in front of me than worrying about those behind me.  I’ve been running negative splits recently and grow in confidence after the half way point in races.  I had passed a few runners but the guy in front had a good running technique and I wasn’t sure if I could catch him.  Instead I focussed on the person in front, Joanne McEvoy, who had beaten me in the previous three races in the Tour.  I managed to catch both of them at the five mile mark and although I passed Joanne the guy wasn’t for letting me past.  The fifth mile had taken 7:03.  I ran immediately behind the guy (Thomas Brown of PwC Panters) but he was soon out pacing me.  However I thought I could see Alan Dempster up ahead and focussed on him instead.  He was a good bit ahead of me and the race was nearing completion but at least I could try and finish as close to him as possible.   I completed the sixth mile in 6:57 and now had him in my sights.  I wasn’t sure if I would be able to out sprint Alan so I decided to go for it at the first opportunity.  Out to the right I stepped and all of a sudden I felt as if I was flying, I’ve no idea where that turn of speed came from but I managed to complete the race with a pace of 5:59 and a maximum of 4:41! 
Sprint Finish
I was slightly disappointed with my time of 43:10, it was 49 seconds faster than last year but I would have preferred to get below the 43 barrier. However it was my third fastest 10k out of a total of 49 and given the fact that it was my fifth race in five days the disappointment didn’t last for long.  I had completed the Tour of Clydeside and had done relatively well achieving PBs at three of the events and a SB tonight by almost minute. 
Loads of mutual congratulations took place among the runners, especially those of us that had bonded over the four races.  Angela dipped below the 50min mark for the first time as she raced home in 49:48, slightly ahead of Susan Clark who finished with a strong sprint.  After a shower we celebrated with a barbecue and a couple of pints before the skies opened up and we retired inside for the presentation of prizes. 
Adam Lee (Shettleston) won first men’s prize with Alan Derrick (Calderglen) in second with Gerry Montgomery (Clydesdale) earning third and first MV50 prizes and Bobby Young collecting the MV60 prize.  I liked Bobby’s remark to me when he said “Aye you’re quick but you’re just not old enough!”
Eilis McKechanie (HBT) won the women’s Tour, with Pamela McCrossan (Clydesdale) runner up.  Westie’s Ellie Homewood earned third spot, with her shocked club mate Paula Cowan collecting the FV40 prize and Erica the F50 prize.

The Course
Huge thanks of appreciation are due to organisers: Stewart Irvine and Colin Shields; the host clubs of: Kilbarchan AAC; Clydesdale Harriers; Garscube Harriers and Bellahouston Harriers and of course all of those that took part.

Results

Pics by Kenneth Phillips

No comments:

Post a Comment