Sunday 28 March 2010

Home to Grangemouth and Back. Cycle, Sunday, March 28 2010



As my ankle is still not up for running but my legs are, I decided to cycle this morning to Grange -mouth to support the runners at the annual Round the Houses 10k road race.  I had a quick look at the race route and noticed that it went along Inchyra Road quite close to the canal at Polmont railway station, I oiled the bike and set off on a grey and windy Sunday morning, nursing a hangover.  I headed down to the SECC and through the tunnel path to Finnieston, up through Kelvingrove Park, past my old flat, across Maryhill road and onto the cycle path.  It wasn’t that long until I was cycling along part of the Jack Crawford 10k route, although in the opposite direction.  I noticed a few dead frogs on the path, strange?  Past the Bishopbriggs Leisure Centre and on to Kirkintilloch I cycled.  I used to run this route as part of my training when I stayed in the flat. Since then they have done a lot of work along the canal. A new Marina, a new School, a College of Further Education and a new pedestrian bridge had all been build since the last time I was here.   
The rest of the route was flat and quick, much easier than the undulating path from Glasgow to Bridge of Weir. I cycled passed another mariner and the inviting Underwood Lockhouse and through the scenic Kelvin Valley and without any notice I had arrived at the Falkirk Wheel.


I was taking an obligatory photo when I noticed a small sign indicating Edinburgh and pointing over the bridge.  I found a local and asked her the way to Polmont and right enough it was over the bridge.  I nearly missed the turn off !!
From the Falkirk Wheel I had to cycle uphill to join the Union Canal and then through the modern Hallglen Tunnel. It was dark inside the tunnel so I removed my sun glasses and switched on the bike lights.  Then it was through open country again until I reached a narrow, long, dark and damp, from water dripping down from the ceiling, tunnel.  It looked really old and I thought that it must have been a major civil engineering project when it was made.  A quick bit of post exercise research uncovered the facts that it was build in 1818, is 695 metres long and runs underneath Prospect Hill. 


It was constructed by blasting and digging through solid rock, and the 'dark tunnel' as it is known or Falkirk Tunnel remains a marvel even in this high technology age.   After the tunnel, the path was a bit muddy but it wasn’t long until I’d reached a sign for Polmont Station.  I’d only paused for a moment when a local dog walker asked if he could help.  I told him I was looking for Inchyra Road and he duly informed me how to get there.  It was only about another mile or so further on that I spied a policewoman


controlling the traffic and new that I had reached my destination.  I disembarked my trusty bike and enjoyed a sandwich, protein bar and energy drink.  I had a brief word with a couple of Shettleston’s Eritreans, who informed me that they were also injured and then a slightly longer chat with Paul Sorrie’s father.  It wasn’t long until the runners appeared and I supported them as they past me just after the 7k marker.
After that it was back on the bike and heading for home.  The wind was against me for a good part of the route and I had a couple of stops to take on some fuel and have a rest from cycling.  I was lucky that I was close to Kelvinbridge Underground Station when the hail, quickly followed by heavy rain arrived and I had another rest and shelter before heading back through Kelvingrove Park and over the ‘squinty bridge’ and on homewards where a hot shower and a very late brunch helped to refresh and replenish me.
A total distance of 109.54Km, more than twice my recent new longest; moving time 6hr 15mins; calories used 3665.  

No comments:

Post a Comment