Monday 22 March 2010

Alloa Half Marathon March 22, 2010


My first attempt at this race, although I knew some of the course after cycling some of it last year.  I knew that the course was very open to the wind and was worried with the windy conditions late last week.  I don’t know why but I just didn’t feel up to this race, maybe Haweswater and my long training runs were starting to take their toll.  I watched Eddie Izzard Marathon Man on Saturday night and went to bed early.  However I didn’t set my alarm and really only decided to go through with the race when I woke up at 6:45 on Sunday morning.   Porridge and a quick cuppa and I was on my way to be picked up by my Killie club mates.  I thought 7:35 was a bit early for a 10:00 start so wasn’t surprised that we were some of the very first collecting our race numbers on the day, when we arrived around 8:30. 
Ninety minutes later I was lined up in the start line and ready to go.  Unfortunately my Garmin was in rest mode and as I started to run I was pressing the buttons to get it going.  Never mind I thought I’ll just do my best.  I could see Kilmarnock’s Paula Wilson slightly ahead, as well as Giffnock’s Li Wang and Kirkintilloch’s Marie McChord, I know that all three are experienced half marathon runners with better PBs than me.  Li completed the Great North Run last year in 1:35:00.  So I knew that as long as I was running around with them I would be doing fine.  However I was a bit surprised to overtake Ewan McDonald who has been training explicitly for this race.  I think he was surprised too as he looked at his Garmin as I passed by.  We ran around a loop and past the start point and the cheering crowds before heading out of town.  The sun was beating down on us as we made our way up Kielarsbrae  to New Sauchie.   Ewan had overtaken me and I was already tiring at the three mile point when Killie’s Harald Bartl gave me words of encouragement as he caught up with me.  At the water point I took a little drink and poured the rest over me to cool me down.  I was feeling a bit sick but my mood lifted at the end of Fishcross as I looked down to see the long flat section ahead.  Down via Devon Village we ran to Devonside and on to Tillicoultry where a left turn took us along the A91 encouraged by the cheering locals who lined the street.  I had dropped back from the group but could see the tall lanky Harald ahead running alongside Paula.  Thankfully the clouds covered over and the temperature dropped but there was a bit of a headwind to overcome as we made our way to Alva.  Thre was a group of about six or seven shouting my name as I reached the half way point and the strange little loop that took us down a road and around a traffic cone.

As usual, I found myself working hard at the front of a group there wasn’t much respite as a diminutive lass from Ayr Seaforth overtook me but I was glad when a larger Harmeny Runner took the lead.  I ran on his shoulder for as long as I could, it was hard work keeping up with him but I’d rather work hard to run fast than use my energy to run into the wind.  However after a while he managed to leave me behind.  I could hear someone else behind me and I hard to increase my pace a few times as she tried to overtake me.  We ran shoulder to shoulder for a while and I noticed her Kinross Runners vest as we reached the village of  Menstrie. 
A sharp left took us over a railway bridge and down over the River Devon before climbing up a long hill at the tenth mile to the round about outside Tullibody.  I was shattered now and feeling really sick as Bella Harrier Iain Burke ran passed.  I decided to risk eating a jelly bean and took in a few deep breadths as I ran downhill through Tullibody.  Iain was a good bit ahead and I felt dead on my feet but I then noticed that Li Wang was just ahead and I managed to catch her at the 11 mile mark.  Much of the rest of the race was a bit of a blur as I just concentrated in getting to the finish without being sick. 

I noticed the crowds building up and some finished runners warming down, so I knew that I was nearing the end.  Up a hill and the crowds had increased, ‘C’mon Ian’ shouted Les McDermont and I gave it my all as I ran the last few hundred metres along the road, then down to my left and finally over the line.  I received my medal and a kiss, someone removed my race chip and I found a seat to sit on to recover.  After a moment or two, I spotted the Kinross Runner and we exchanged thanks for helping each other around the course.  I collected my goodie bag, t-shirt and water before congratulating Paula, Harald, Li and Stuart McBeath and going for a warm down with the other Killie Harriers  and cheering the other runners home.  My Garmin read 1:36:42 and I presumed that I had actually taken 1:37+, which is what I told those that asked. 
After getting home, having a shower and large brunch I headed upstairs for a well deserved siesta.  It was a lovely surprise to find that my chip time was actually 1:36:08, 2mins and 50secs faster than my PB of ten years ago.  I felt as if I had deserved my celebratory red wine on Sunday night.

Well done to everyone who took part, including 16 Kilmarnock Harriers and healthy turnouts from Perth Road Runners, Giffnock and Portobello too and a big thank you to everyone for their support and kind comments.
Pics by Barry Davie and Harald Bartl

1 comment:

  1. Well done Ian -- great time -- bodes well for your marathon -- this could be a great year for you if you're pulling in times of that quality at this early stage.

    ReplyDelete