Friday 12 March 2010

Glasgow parkrun 63 - March 6, 2010

There were 274 runners at Pollok Park last week as I took part in my 37th parkrun and I placed 176 with a time of 27:17 don’t panic it wasn’t due to a dip in form but rather it was an extremely well controlled pace on my behalf.
Despite encouragement from other runners and supporters alike, I ignored their calls and concentrated on my Garmin personal trainer as I made my way around the course in my Glasgow Killie t-shirt to complete my ninth race of 2010.
Pic by Richard Leyton
This was the day before my half marathon and as my training schedule had me down to run three easy miles (3m at 8:55 pace) I decided to combine it with my local parkrun. However the hilly nature of the course makes it difficult to have an ‘easy’ run and a number of times I had to slow down as Garmin advised me that my heart rate was too high. On one occasion I chatted with fellow runner Lynne Sim before reaching a flatter part of the course and increasing my pace and heart rate slightly to keep in my training zone.

Thanks to all those who shouted “well done” as I made my way towards the finish line. My solitary point won’t help me in the individual table but it does get me closer to that elusive 100 parkrun marker.  Spare a thought for Robert Gilroy who crossed the line in first position but gained no points as he had forgotten his barcode.

No comments:

Post a Comment