Saturday 20 March 2010

Glasgow parkrun 65 - 100 points for Being Last


I was down to run the Alloa Half on Sunday, Mar 21 which meant that an easy three mile run was required on the Saturday.  A few days before I noticed that the parkrun was still seeking a tail runner so I offered my services, which meant that for the first time in ages I could afford myself the luxury of a drink on a Friday night. 
I cycled along to Pollok Park and after the usual pre race banter I joined the back of some 240 runners.  “Are you running I asked a pensive looking lass”, “I was hoping to but I heard that it was people with dogs and prams these all look like serious runners too me!”  I put her mind to ease and we set off down the road, where a couple of late runners caught up with us.  As we reached the glade a young lass with a Cardonald College Sports Club top on was struggling and I then joined her and encouraged her to run and walk her way around the course.  Her name was Annmarie Markham and she was aiming to run in this year’s Scottish Women’s 10k Race.  By the time we took the sharp left and were heading for the hills, the leaders were lapping and we exchanged words of encouragement as they passed by.   
We weren’t lapped by all that many by the time we started our second lap of the course and the lass managed to increase her pace slightly as we ran down the glade and then walked and ran the hills.  At the top of the hill, I encouraged her to run with me all the way to the finish, which we did with her Cardonald College friends providing strong vocal support as we made it down the final strait and over the line.  We had taken just under 40 minutes, she was shattered but happy and hopefully the run will help her in her 10k attempt.  Whilst a few were surprised that I took a finishers token, I did as it counts as my 39th parkrun and meant that Annmarie didn’t finish last in her introduction to the parkrun.
  My result:  243rd place in a time of 39:42

Rather than receiving just the one point for my run, I received 100 for volunteering which takes my total points to 837 and places me fifth in the individual men’s table.

On another note it was good to see Kirkintilloch’s Gordon MacDonald making a tentative comeback after being injured since last year’s Loch Ness Marathon.  His club mate Willie Reid continues his return to form, placing 40th in 21:22, one second better than my time last week.  Also making her return to the parkrun after a few weeks being away with work was Carolyn Boyd who got a new PB of 23:48 in her tenth outing.  Others of note were Al Maclachan new PB of18:11, John Gilhooley new PB of 20:56 and Lynne Sim new PB of 26:31.

No comments:

Post a Comment