Wednesday 10 March 2010

Haweswater Half Marathon, Bampton, Sunday March 7, 2010



My marathon schedule had me down to run a half marathon on Sunday, March 7 and the only one that I could find was the Haweswater HaM in the North Lakes.  I’d only ever done one race in England before, the famous Brampton to Carlisle 10 miler and I was keen to venture over the border to take in another one. 

It’s a road race leaving from the pretty village of Bampton, I know it sounds like Brampton, south of Penrith. It’s quite a small race with a maximum field of just over 500 and has been on the go for nine years now.  Following good reports in Runners World the race was sold out last year, so I made sure I got my entry in early and my accommodation booked for before and after the event.

The day itself was gorgeous and despite a slight detour I managed to get to the race HQ in the local Scout Hall in plenty of time.  My running buddy Susan Clark from Greenock Glenpark had travelled with me and we met Helensburgh’s, Carlisle born, Michelle Hetherington there.  That, unusually was the sum total of people that I knew before the race, although the local reporter told me that his family hailed from Ayrshire and that he had many fond memories of watching the famous Kilmarnock FC when he was younger.

My training has been going really well and I was hoping to do a half in about 1:35, which would be a good bit off of my PB of 1:38:53.  However Michelle commented that she would be happy to get that time on this course and the locals around me concurred that that was an ambitious time for this hilly aka undulating race. 

After pre race announcements warning us of the dangers of traffic, pot holes and ice on the road and stressing that runners wearing I-pods etc would be disqualified, we were off making our way slowly through the narrow streets of the picturesque hamlet in the gorgeous sunshine.  I did notice one girl in a blue top who set off at a pace weaving her way through the streets lined with well wishers as we made our way past the Scout Hall and out along the narrow country roads. 

I was aiming for a pace of around 4:17 m/km but Garmin revealed that the first two kms were run at 4:35 and 4:50. Any hope of recovering from the slow start, were squashed as we reached the first hill, which saw my pace drop to 4:59, 4:56 and 5.00.  By now the race had opened up and I was part of quite along drawn out group, led by a guy with a white top and long black trousers and I was racing along with a Keswick AC runner.  I knew that any hopes of a PB had flown and decided that I would stop and take in water at the drinks station.  As I refreshed with a small drink of ice cold water the Keswick runner, who was carrying her own water past bye.  However it wasn’t too long until I had caught up with her and I made some time up as I ran down hill before reaching the main hill of the course.  A guy with a blue top over took me going down hill but he was taking small steps and I was confident that my long strides would be more efficient.   My times were 4:41; 4:47; 4:43 and 5:22 but I had kept the group leader in sight and I had noticed that the lass in blue from the start was walking a bit at the hardest part of the hill.  As we ran down towards the turn point I noticed Michelle making her way back up the hill on the other side of the road.  My pace down hill was 4:23 and 4:55, as I stopped at the drinks station, through away my gloves took a couple of jelly babies, a drink of water and a few deep breaths before starting my way back up hill.

 Race Profile - can you tell it's out and back?

Again the Keswick lass had past me but I was confident that I would catch her again.  Slightly refreshed, the hill didn’t seem to be as challenging but my times didn’t show this as I ran up at a pace of 4:55 and 5:19.  I caught the Keswick lass at the top of the hill and stepped out to the middle of the road and sped down the other side, passing Susan on my way, 4:08 much better but too little too late.  I could occasionally see the guy in the white top away in front, I decided that, as my time had been blown, my best tactic would be to try to reel in as many other runners as possible and finish as close as possible to him.  My first target was the lass with the fast start.  We reached the next drinks station at around 10 miles and she sped straight through it closely followed by myself.  We made our way up the icy road towards the Haweswater Hotel, we were now in a group of four, she having caught the two guys, including ‘blue top’ who had overtaken me in the downhill stage.  (4:46 4:41 4:45) I past blue top and then as I reached the top of the hill I made my move, stepping out to the middle of the road and stretching my legs as I opened up on the way down (4:16).

The road flattened out as we appro -ached the village again and I kept catching runners, I was chasing a guy in a scarlet top and as I did we both overtook a guy in a harlequins type vest (4:31).  I could see another lass in blue ahead and as I chased after her I past bye ‘scarlet top’ and a couple of others (4:30).  She was finishing well though and as I turned the final corner I noticed that she had caught up with white top and black trousers, I wasn’t sure where the actual finish line was but the crowds were cheering as I made my way to the filter lane in 4:15 to finish 180th out of 517 with a time of 1:39:35 (42 seconds out of my PB).

I collected my mug, banana and had a drink of water as I chatted with the other runners as we queued up for our refreshing tea before cheering the other runners home.

Who’s who:
Michelle Hetherington - 90th in 1:31:28
Lass in blue top – Jessica Riches – 178th in 1:39:11
Guy in white top/black trousers – Dave Murray (Cleveland Tri) -179th in 1:39: 16
Scarlet vest -  Andy Letheren (Trail Runners Assoc'n) - 183rd in 1:39:51
Fast starting lass in blue vest - Lindsey Berends (Preston Harriers) 186th in 1:40:08
Keswick lass - Hayley Hodgson – 189th in 1:40:14
Susan Clark - 424th in 1:59:39











Well done to the organisers managing to post the results on the Scout Hall wall page by page as the race progressed.

Review
A great ‘undulating’ race in fantastic scenery, well supported and really friendly, the only negative point would be that apart from the mug of tea, post race refreshments had to be purchased rather than free or on a ‘donation’ basis which some other clubs do.
Start Video

1 comment:

  1. Great race recap and review ~ it's so interesting to read the process of racing from another person's perspective and your in-depth analysis is fantastic for someone who's only been running seriously for two years like me.

    I hope that one day I'll be able to view my own races with such pragmatism and objectivity...and also that I'll be able to afford a garmin ;)

    I'm very flattered to be the 'lass in blue top' ;)

    ~Jess~

    ReplyDelete