Sunday 11 April 2010

Tom Scott Races 11/04/2010

I was intending to go for a cycle with the 'cycling for softies group' from Cross- myloof at 10:30 but as I woke at 7 as usual, I decided instead to head out to Strathclyde Park to watch the Tom Scott Memorial Races.  I wasn't sure how to get there but headed towards Toryglen, then through Rutherglen, Cambuslang and Blantyre to my old college town of Hamilton.  I cycled past Bell College which is now part of the University of the West of Scotland; the modern leisure pool which has replaced the wee local swimming pool that I frequented and my old student residence which has been converted into private flats before crossing the footbridge into Strathclyde Park almost right at the start of the race.

After pre race chat with a few of the runners I cycled some of the route before deciding where to stop and take my photos from.  There are two races which are run concurrently the 10 mile one and the 6k 'wee diddy run'.    I have both good and bad memories of running in the 10 miler, one excellent race with a strong finish and last year's disaster when the sun was too much for me on the day and I struggled.  So it was with mixed feelings that I reflected on not being able to run in today's race in the blazing sunshine with no evident wind.

Wee Diddy Run
There was a bit of a mix up with a misunderstanding between the marshal and the lead runners in the 6k, which ended in some of them taking a short cut but the Race Referee, rightly in my opinion, decided to let the results stand.  This meant that Alison Docherty won the women's race defeating usual winner Claire Thompson and Jennifer Telford. That man Kevin Kane won the men's race. 

Tom Scott 10 Miler
In the big race, Edinburgh's Neil Renault had a great run in preperation for his London Marathon, taking two minutes off of his PB.  He looks like a good bet to get the 2:15 marathon time that he's aiming for in two weeks time.  Also a great run from Irvine's David Miller who finished fourth with the Shettleston runners setting a new course record and earning the men's team prize.  Kenny Richmond had another good run to win a vet's prize and help Bellahouston Road Runners to second place in the men's team event.  In-form, Fiona Mathieson
 won the women's race, beating Fiona Thompson and Jill Knowes with Claire McCracken and Pamela McCrossen picking up vets prize.



Further down the field there were great runs from my old sparring partner Norman Boyle; Richard Leyton; Frances Maxwell; Mhairi Duff; Linda Kennedy and a whole range of others.

Be Courteous
Although this photo shows runners on one side of the path and other park users on the other, unfortunately that was not always the case as many park users illustrated extreme ignorance and down right rudeness by either ignoring the runners or in some cases going out of their way to restrict their path.  I had to give up my photography tp assist a marshal who was clearly failing to cope with the arduous task of trying to channel the lead runners down the final strait and the other runners along the path, whilst being impeded by the many park users who seemed, at best, to be oblivous to the races being run.  Would it really be too much to expect other park users to show some respect to the runners or at least be courteous towards them?   

"David....... Dale, I Presume"
After the post race chat and prize given, I was homeward bound, taken a slight detour for a quick visit to the David Livingston Centre, not a lot of people are aware that the explorer was educated as a result of the phiosophy installed in him by the owner of the local mill, Stewarton's David Dale.

Football Support
It was plain sailing as I overtook, on the inside of the road, the nose to tail traffic as it made it's way slowly towards Hampden Park.  The brightly coloured Dundee United and Raith Rovers supporters, walking the last wee bit before the national stadium, shouted encouragement to me as I pedaled past them before arriving home slightly suntanned. 


Review
Distance: 30:08 miles - undulating
Moving Time: 2:36:55
Av 535 beats per mile
Calories used: 16:29

I need a better cycle to do these longer runs, the one I have is ok for the short commute to work, and I need a much better camera to improve my pics.

Photos here
Results here
Route here

No comments:

Post a Comment