Friday 23 April 2010

I'll be Running with Mark

Mark Cooper, a 27 year old Edinburgher will on the 1st of May begin a 1,300 mile ultra endurance run through the Netherlands, Belgium, France and Spain. The trip will take him about eight weeks to complete and will consist of roughly 50 marathons in 56 days.

Mark is running the challenge in memory of his mother, Sheila, who passed away in 1997 from a brain haemorrhage and is aiming to raise £25,000 for the Headway Group charity.  I've also had a number of friends die prematurely from brain haemorrhages, not least of all my good pal Jimmy Cochrane who died at the age of 49.

I’ve never met Mark, in fact I’ve never even spoken with him but when I noticed on Facebook that he needed someone to support him on the fifth week of his journey I decided to step in and lend a hand. As it happens, that part of the journey will be through France and I’ve always wanted to spend more time travelling through the land of culinary traditions and fine wine.

I will be Mark's only support for the week and my tasks will include ensuring that he has somewhere to eat and rest. Either ensuring that hotels and restaurants are booked or putting up the tent and cooking lunch, dinner and breakfast. I’ll make sure that he sets off in the morning in time and then pack up and drive ahead to the next stop. I’ll keep him supplied with snacks, water and motivation.  Of course, if possible, I’ll be hoping to spend some of the time running along with him, providing support and encouragement.

I’ll be flying out to Paris Beauvais from Prestwick on Friday 28 May at 16:15 and back to Edinburgh from Lyon on Saturday 5 June arriving at 17:15.

Mark will be running along Paul Benjasminse's cycle route from Amsterdam to Barcelona as the basis for the challenge. It promises to be an adventure for all concerned.  In the meantime I had better refresh my French language skills.



No comments:

Post a Comment