Tuesday 27 April 2010

Dancing Doon the Broomielaw

I saw a feature about a street dancer on the local BBC news. The young woman performs along the Clydeside at the Broomielaw most mornings and as someone who loves to dance and has been known to dance in the street, I was interested. I dare say that I’m a wee bit of an exhibitionist when dancing and as well as winning a few competitions, I’ve entertained the punters in Edinburgh, Glasgow, Stewarton and elsewhere, including Bulgaria, Nicaragua and Egypt.

On my way into work on Monday, I caught sight of the dancing queen out of the side of my eye as I cycled along the Clydeside. I stopped and had a chat with her and promised that I would join her some mornings. I told her that there are some songs, such as Brown Sugar by the Rolling Stones, which are just meant for dancing. Another one I mentioned is Dancing in the Street, also covered by Jagger and Bowie, and she informed me that the song mentions Philadelphia, which is where she originates from.



Her name is Kate E Deeming and she is a professional performing artist. She’s bringing a little light into people’s lives as they make their way to work and she’s getting a bit of publicity out of it. That seems like a good deal to me. If you see her, stop and say ‘hello’ or join in. You know you want to.

Kate dancing on YouTube

Kate’s website


No comments:

Post a Comment