Sunday 4 April 2010

I join in with thousands of bikers as they descend on Glasgow, delivering an Easter treat for sick children.


With no running, it was back on the bike this morning and I headed down to the BBC and across the Clyde.  I was planning to use Bell’s Bridge but found it to be closed; it looks like they may be putting a roof on it again.  Never mind the Millennium Bridge is only a few metres further downstream and I was soon north o’ the Clyde. I passed the heliport and joined the new section of road which leads towards Glasgow Harbour, came off of it for a wee while to join the cycle path, waste of time really as I the path rejoined the road further down.  Then the N7 goes along an old railway line which must be one of the worst official parts of a cycle route in the country.  Not only is it bland but for the graffiti but it’s also dangerous with broken glass and other hazards littering the route.  I could hear the sound of horns and hooters and looked to my left to observe a large number of motor bikes heading into town.  I decided to explore further and left the path at the first opportunity.  The stream of motor bikes continued for ages and as it was moving slowly, I decided to join them. 
I presumed that they were going to some kind of motor bike rally but as I chatted away with them, I learned that this was the annual Easter Egg Run to Yorkhill Children’s Hospital and could attract anything up to around 10,000 bikers to it.  That explained why some of the riders were wearing bunny ears and some entire bunny outfits!  It transpires that the event was started by the Motorcycle Action Group in 1999 with around 100 bikes and has grown in size since then and expanded to include trikes, scooters, mopeds and even one or two cars.... you can now add a lone cyclist to the list. 

I received loads of support from well wishers along the way as we made our way along Glasgow Harbour and through the streets up to Yorkhill Hospital where nursing staff and kids were waving excitedly as the bikers passed by beeping their horns and waving back.  Nearly all the bikers bring chocolate eggs for the kids and the event raises thousands of pounds for the hospital.  I had no eggs to donate, so I turned off just after the hospital entrance and joined in with the other well wishers in cheering the bikers.  I told them that they were doing a brilliant job and then made my way back towards the heliport.  There was a helicopter taking off as I passed and it nearly blew me off my bike such was the wind created by its rotors. 





I called in for a newspaper on the way home and the vender quipped “I hope that you are on a bike or you have a very strange dress code”, I assured him that I was with bike and not a Freddy Mercury impersonator and made my way home for brunch poached eggs on toast of course.

Total distance: 14.63 miles; total time: 01:24:07; calories used: 897  

No comments:

Post a Comment