Friday 5 September 2014

Gateside Galloping Gourmet

Multi Terrain 4 Mile Race 


I found myself with some unexpected free time, so I looked for potential races that I could run and discovered the Gateside Gallop. Now in its fourth year the race, established to raise funds to maintain the Fife village's local hall, has grown from strength to strength, attracting runners from many of the surrounding clubs as well as some locals and fun runners too.  Some 61 had completed the course in 2011, 76 in 2012 and 88 in 2013.  I recognised a few of the names of some of the club runners and their finishing times gave me some indication of hard the race would be.

East Lomond Hill
I arrived in plenty of time to register, get changed and do my warm up, which included running the length of the village to the Race Start behind the local school. I discovered that the race finished with an uphill run and a lap of the local park, even with its freshly cut grass, it was going to be an energy sapping final strait.  I chatted with the other runners and marshals who explained the route, providing further indications of how hard and hilly the course would be.  My legs were already tired and sore after a training session in Glasgow's Sherbrook hills on Monday and a deep tissue massage on Tuesday but I wasn't chasing a particular time tonight, I just wanted to enjoy the experience and scenery.  

The Bonnet Stane
Following the pre race announcement and warnings, Sue Whisler sent 119 of us down a congested Station Road and over the River Eden, where the route started its ascent, up past Nether Urquhart and right onto Dryside Road. We kept on the road until the 2k point where we turned left and onto the steep trail which took us up through Drumdreel Wood towards East Lomond Hill.  It was tough going, dodgy underfoot, narrow and a couple of testing turns thrown in for good measure for the next 1.7k but when we came out of the trees we were greeted to an open field and a downward stretch.  With the Bonnet Stane on our right hand side we stretched our legs on the way down but it didn't last too long before we were running in the deep ruts of a farm track, with nettles stinging our legs, until we reached Station Road.  We continued down the tarmac, over the river bridge and up the last hill, where we were greeted with screaming kids and others cheering us along.  I managed to catch a runner just before turning left along the path to the park.
Around the park I chased after a couple of runners in front and managed to out sprint them on the grass finish, crossing the line in a time of 32:36 to place 61st.  I was shattered but delighted, as I took a few moments to get my breath back before congratulating my fellow runners and quenching my thirst with the water supplied.  

I cheered on some of the other runners before warming down through the village, past the sadly closed down inn, to the hall where the volunteers cheered us and rewarded us with home made lemonade, fresh coffee and a mouth watering array of assorted sandwiches, cakes and biscuits.  After feasting myself and chatting with some old and new running buddies, I headed homewards.

Well done to the Sue and the other locals in Gateside for putting on such a great wee race, I loved it.

Race Profile

Photos by Gordon Donnachie, album here

More photos here

Results here

1 comment:

  1. Comment From Kenny Phillips

    Ian

    I noticed you running in front of me in Rigg Street as I was driving into Sainsburys and I wondered what you were up to. Now I know that it was at the end of your sojourn around Chapeltoun.
    About 1962 the Town Council declined the offer of the Drill Hall and instead the Stewarton Sports Association was formed under the leadership of Bob Craig, Manager of Wilson & Wyllie's Engineering Works. Bob was a former cyclist, a Town Councillor and member of the Bonnet Guild. Much voluntary work was done by Wullie Murphy and others to the Hall and it later became the Annick Youth Club and now the Annick Youth & Community Association. It catered for athletics, football, badminton, etc. and produced outstanding sports persons such as Rose Reilly.
    The Sports Association and the Bonnet Guild helped each other to organise the annual Chapeltoun Road Race and the Stewarton Cross Country Races and the local factories donated trophies for annual competition. 750 competitors at times took part.
    The record for Chapeltoun is still held by local man, Jackie Davidson, who was running for Ayr Seaforth at that time.
    Much information held by Stewarton Sports Association (Athletics Section) was passed on to the Stewarton Historical Museum and it may be possible to find your times there.

    Kenny

    PS The Annick Youth and Community Centre is still open.

    ReplyDelete