Sunday 7 September 2014

Around Chapeltoun Road Race - Forty Years On!

Around Chapeltoun Route
My first road race had been a local one in Stewarton, starting at the Centre on Standalane, the route headed along past my school on Kilwinning Road, past Rigghead on the right hand side and then the woods on the left hand side before turning left along, the scenic, Chapeltoun Road, past Chapeltoun House, over the River Annick and on to the  Irvine Road, where the course turned left and headed back to Stewarton along the B759, passing Lochridge, Lainshaw Farm Battery Hen Houses  and the Gerry Helmet before turning left, over the Annick and under the viaduct, along Lainshaw Street and another left, back on to Standalane and the Finish Line outside the Centre.  I ran the race two or three times but have no idea what time it took me, what distance it was, or how many other runners took part.  I'm guessing that I last ran it around 1973, more than forty years ago!
Chapeltoun Road

I've searched the internet for any references to the, Bonnet Guild organised, event but to no avail.

I don't know when the race was first held, or last held, and I'm told that the race is unlikely ever to be held again but I changed all that last Friday night when I returned to the land of my youth, parked the car outside of the, sadly closed, Centre and took part in my own 'Around Chapeltoun Road Race'.

Entering Stewarton from the Irvine Road
Every step brought back childhood memories and although my legs were still tired from my Gateside Gallop, I loved every minute of it.  For the record the distance was 4.32 miles, or 7k,  I did get some strange looks from the locals and motorists along the way and there was no buffet or medal at the end but that didn't matter.  A wee warm down took me through Ravenscraig, down the Chooky Brae, along Dunlop Road to the Cross, turning right along Main Street and back to Standalane and the Centre brought back further memories as did a wee drive through the Camp. Back up Kilwinning Road, Lothian Road, Crusader Crescent and David Dale Avenue before driving through the Bonnet Toun and up the Cutstraw Road, on to the A77 and back to Glasgow.

As I said, it's unlikely that the race will ever be staged again but I might pop down and do it again from time to time.




No comments:

Post a Comment