Tuesday 23 September 2014

Honest Race - Ayr parkrun #1

It was with great pleasure that I learned that the parkrun family in Scotland was extending to my home town of Ayr.  However due to illness, I wasn't sure if I'd be able to participate in the inaugural event but my doctor helped me to overcome my doubts and encouraged me to keep up my running. There are so many health benefits to be gained from the sport and there is also a social side too.  It was good to see so many friends and running buddies among the 140 particapants at the first ever Ayr parkrun and within the ranks of the volunteers too.

pic by BlickingBlackCat
I had checked the Rozelle Park course on line and the organisers explained it in more detail prior to the 9:30 Start. The route was entirely on narrow trails, commencing near the Rugby pitch, we had a couple of sharp turns, before running around the pond and back along the trail.  There were a few tree roots underfoot, as we twisted and turned through the trees and nettles, skirting round the perimeter of the park.  I exchanged support with the other runners as we passed ourselves going in opposite directions along the 5k route.  As I headed down to the pond for the second time, I caught sight of Kilmarnock's Gordon Reid and Hamilton's Neil Robbins running towards me as they led the faster runners.

Fast finish with David Lowdon- pic by Barry Davie
Once round the pond, it was uphill and through the trails adjacent to the pavillion before turning a sharp right, out of the woods, and sprinting along the open track.

 Although Kilmarnock Harriers' David Lowdon pipped me on the line, I was happy enough with my race, placing 26th, with a time of 22:59.  Not a fast time but it isn't a fast course, that said, I was still a bit surprised that Run Britain gave the race an SSS of 4.5 and my performance a -0.2, which is a technical way of saying that I had a decent race. (See here for an explanation of SSS etc).

I enjoyed some post race conversation and cheering on the other runners, before completing my warm down and continuing the banter over coffee and fruit scones in the excellent Rozelle Tea Room.

The biggest club representation on the day had been from Bellahouston Harriers but others had came from further afield, including Cambridge, St Andrews, Dundee, Dunfermline and Linlithgow it was good to see them all enjoying the beautiful Ayrshire countryside.

Thanks to all the organisers, volunteers and racers for making the first Ayr parkrun so special, I'll be back!

Results

Photos here and here 

No comments:

Post a Comment