Tuesday 12 August 2014

Kilbarchan Klassic 8k Race

Pic by Kenny Phillips
I've been clocking up the miles this year but it's been more about training than racing, so I wasn't sure how I'd fare on this newly shortened opening race of the annual Tour of Clydeside.  Traditionally a 5.5mile, out and back route along the cycle path of the famous Renfrewshire village, the length has been shortened as part of the changes which see the four race tour become five races over consecutive nights.

The revamp, the power of social media and the Commonwealth Games may have all played a role in making the numbers participating in the race a bit higher than in recent years. Whatever the reason, it most certainly wasn't the weather as the skies opened up as runners arrived to register and collect their race numbers.  To be fair, the weather had abated before the 7:30 Start, although a heavy shower rained down on us as we headed out along the flat cycle path for 4k, around a cone and back to the Start/Finish.
Pic by Steven Hill
 I'm always appreciative of fellow runners who take the time to encourage my efforts and tonight was no different as both those ahead and those behind shouted words of encouragement.  My effort to reply was often restricted to a thumbs up although I did try a couple of times to speak and even managed to exchange a high five with Clare Barr as we passed each other.

At the half way point, I set myself a target of catching a couple of runners a good bit in front of me, before the end and I was pleased to do so before crossing the finishing line in a time of 35:37, faster than I would have predicted and placing 40 out of 81 finishers.

It was great to catch up with so many running friends and to make some new ones too, there was a decent turn out from Bellahouston Harriers, although gold went to local teenager Callum Matthews won the race by some distance, with his Club Mate, Jennifer Rooney, earning Gold in the women's race.

Post Race Pic by Iain Burke


Full results here


No comments:

Post a Comment