Wednesday 13 August 2014

Clydebank Canal Canter 8k Race - Tour of Clydeside Race 3 of 5

Final Strait pic by Kenny Phillips
The third race in as many days and cumulative results had been published showing that, to date, I was 33 out of 61 in the series  Although my main goal is to get through the week without injury, I still have a competitive edge and took stock of those immediately ahead of me in the table and their lead on me.

Some of the Bellahouston Harriers pre Race. pic by Iain Burke


I lined up along the Canal Path in Clydebank with the rest of the series competitors and a number of other runners mostly from the host club, Clydesdale Harriers and Ayrshire's Ron Runners who made a welcome, if unexpected trip to Clydeside

After the usual pre race announcements, which confused  some by indicating that the race was 7k long, we were set on our way at 7:30pm for our 8k, out and back race.  The Start was slightly congested but after a few minutes the race opened up as runners settled into their pace.
Slightly Congested Start to the Race

I had decided to start quicker than I had on Monday and hope that I could hang on until the end at least enough to increase my standing by a couple of places. My first mile was fast but then the gravel surface and slight incline slowed me down a bit, a couple of shouts of encouragement kept me working hard to the half way point, where the marshal kindly reminded me that the remainder of the race was downhill.  I'm always confident of a faster second half in my races and set off for the second half of the race with confidence that I'd be able to hold off any challenges from behind and catch at least one of the people ahead.  That said, the longer the race went on, the heavier and tighter my legs seemed to get as the efforts of the previous two nights, particularly Tuesday's hills, started to take their toll.  It was good to receive cheers from some of the locals along the canal side as well as my running buddies.

I crossed the line in a time of 35:19, a whole 26 seconds quicker than Monday's outing, over the same distance.  I placed 37 out of 8 and movetod up four places  sit at 29 out of the 60 runners still in the series. I was delighted with my efforts but just a little bit worried that I still have another two races to run, over the next two nights.

Post Race Chat with Women's Leader Jennifer Telford pic by Iain Burke

Once again it was great to see so many friends and many thanks to the organisers who give up their time so that we can enjoy our racing.


Full Canal Canter results: http://tinyurl.com/canter8k
Wins for Stuart MacDougall and Jennifer Telford, to extend their leads

Cumulative results after 3 races: http://tinyurl.com/ToC2014r3


No comments:

Post a Comment