Sunday 24 August 2014

Course Best at Victoria parkrun

My first return to the parkrun since early July, when I included Victoria parkrun as part of my long run and was happy to complete the three laps in a time of 25:15.  This was also Maggie's first outing since her injury in early May and her 18 year old son Tom's first ever parkrun.

Conditions were about perfect in Glasgow's west end and a record turnout of at least 237 runners lined up for the 9:30am Start. Their was some concern that the Start sign was in the wrong place and the course may have been slightly longer today.

Although I had a number of friends either running, volunteering and supporting, I actually found myself running alone for much of the race, that said there were a few times when runners appeared on my shoulder but didn't quite have enough to overtake me and helped me keep a decent pace.  I was running naked, in that I had forgotten my Garmin, so I had no knowledge of how fast I was doing but I did know that I was working hard.  I hadn't seen Tom during the race but I wasn't surprised to see him sprinting past me in the final strait, I know that's what I would have tried to do if I was in his shoes.  I crossed the line in 47th position but none of those around me had properly recorded their times, either not having sports watches or forgetting to start them at the beginning of the race.

Maggie stuck to her game plan and crossed the line in a time of 25:29 in 119th place.

There must have been an issue with the results and the usually efficient text and email advising us of our official times didn't arrive until  almost 10pm.  The wait was worth it though, as the text revealed that I had completed the 5k course in a time of 21:07. "Well done on a new PB".  Although to be accurate, it is actually a Course Best but it's always good to get a decent time and it helps bring my handicap down a little more.  All in all a good morning's work but there was no post race coffee and chat with my running buddies as I headed home to do my bit for charity and enjoy my ice bucket challenge! 

Once again thanks to all concerned for putting on the parkrun, results here.


No comments:

Post a Comment