Wednesday 17 August 2011

Out With the Old and In With the New

My Garmin 410 has given up on me, the result of a couple of simple design flaws and daily usage but what do they expect, the 310 is designed to be worn as a watch and not just a training aid. The cheap looking rubber strap was first to go and the sleek looking bezel didn’t like the rain or sweaty fingers. Although the watch is supposed to be water resistant, rated at IPX7 meaning that it has been tested in water at a depth of one metre for 30 minutes, however lately the inside of the screen has been filling up with moisture, presumably from my sweaty wrist. There’s no way that I would have considered wearing it whilst swimming. Although I love the functions of the device, the GPS didn’t perform too well in Pollok Park, where I do a lot of my running and cycling. I decided it was time for a new training partner and after some research plumped for the Garmin 310XT.


Garmin 310XT

The 310XT has a multisport function and is water proof. This should allow me to wear it whilst, running, cycling and swimming. Although I understand that there are some major issues with the GPS and HRM in water, it is still good not to be able to keep the watch on whilst swimming. Whilst on holiday, I like to go for a morning run, preferably along the beach, and then cool myself down with a swim, either in the sea or in the pool. The waterproof nature of the 310XT should allow me to do this without having to remove and look for a safe place for my watch.

I’ve also been working on my swimming and whilst I can, mostly, count the number of laps I’ve done, I usually don’t record the time taken. The 310 should, at least, help me in this respect.

Not a Watch
Unlike the 410, the 310XT is not designed to be worn as a watch and the clock time display is too small to be considered for such use. Likewise the 20 hour battery is great for training but wouldn’t be suitable for a time piece.

Try a Tri?
Like a lot of runners, I’ve always admired tri-athletes and it would be good to give one a try maybe next year. No, not a full Ironman but a novice one would do me. The 310XT should be ideal for this type of event training.

HRM
I didn’t need to buy a new Heart Rate Monitor, as my old one works with the 310XT.

Footpod
I did however purchase a footpod to go along with the 310XT, which can be used when training indoors.

Expensive
The Garmin 310XT is not cheap; its RRP is £299:99 but I did manage to find one on Amazon for £221.58, free P&P and although I won't be wearing it quite as often as my 410, I'm sure I'll get maximum use out of it.

No comments:

Post a Comment