Sunday 7 August 2011

Belter of a Race at Bella

I decided to rest my camera on Friday and to put my hamstring through another painful experience instead.  I headed down to Pollok Park for the Bella Belter 10k road race, which is the final race in the annual Tour of Clydeside four race series.  I did the whole series last year and included the Dundonald 10k, in the rest day, to make it even more challenging.  This year I had to content myself with just the Dundonald and the Bella races, I hadn’t even trained since last Sunday as my hamstring was so tight.

Start of Lap Two - I'm in my yellow Scottish Vets Vest

Anyway after the usual pre race warm up and chatting, I lined up with the strong field to head clockwise around Pollok Park.  There was a feeling of déjà vu as I had earlier this year run the same course in the Brian Goodwin Memorial 10k.  In my 47th race of 2011, I decided to change tactics a little.  I had noticed that, when racing 10ks, my first kilometre was always about 4:13 but then dropped significantly.  My intention tonight was to start slower and maintain my pace for the first 5k and then hopefully up the pace.  I started cautiously and was running behind Kilbarchan's Jim McMillan but when Maryhill’s Caroline Jones past me after about 700m, I decided to chase after her. The result being that my 1st k took me 4:15!  Well I can still ensure that I don’t slow down by following her round, I thought.  She opened a gap of about 200m on me but I managed to keep in touch with her for the first lap, aided by the fact that I knew that Jim wasn’t too far behind me. 

Getting Closer
 I was feeling positive and, unusual for me, never at any moment thought about pulling out of the race.  I slowed to a walk at the water station and took a drink, poured the remainder of the small cup of water over me and set off to complete the second lap.  Unfortunately there wasn’t the spark in my legs that I was looking for but there was a gradual increase in my pace.  I didn’t seem to be getting any closer to Caroline but I was catching other runners, including one in the claret and amber of Motherwell AC.  However as I ran past Lochinch, a fly caught in the back of my throat, always a danger if you breath with your mouth as I tend to do, see my photos!  I wouldn’t have minded if I’d swallowed the creature but it just lodged itself in my throat.  I coughed and spluttered as I ran along and then told myself just to ignore it and concentrate on my race.  I refocused and as I ran up the hill past Pollok House I managed to catch Caroline.  She kindly congratulated me as I overtook her but I wasn’t sure if I would be able to keep ahead of her as there was still 3.5k to go.  I was running strong, though, and I almost immediately caught the next runner, a guy in a white top.  The next target was another guy but in a blue top.  I chased after him, though the remainder of the park and then along Pollokshaws Road.  I caught him and looked ahead to see who my next target would be but there was no one else in sight.  I guess it’s me against the clock then, I thought and kept pushing myself as I made my way along Haggs Road.  I heard, race winner, Stuart Gibson shouting encouragement as he warmed down along the other side of the road.  He must be used to this type of running, I thought, as when he’s leading there’s no-one for him to focus on.  

I was working hard and I was feeling good. However I then started to feel physically sick, ‘don’t you dare you lazy bugger’ I shouted in my mind. ‘Keep pushing, there’s not long to go now, you must be working hard, you can be sick after you finish.’
Running Strong at the End


A quick left off of Haggs Road and another, saw me sprinting along the rugby club’s driveway and over the line.  I was shattered and I made my way on to the grass for a brief lie down.  I looked at my Garmin expecting to see a great time but was disappointed when it revealed 44:14. (Official time 44:15 and, in a strong field, I placed 59th out of 107).
I had run a great race but not in a great time.  I took a drink of water and joined the faster runners and volunteers in cheering the other runners home before heading over to my car to collect my bag.  I vomited a little before heading for a shower and change of clothes.

Bellahouston Harriers had put on a decent spread but I was wary of testing my stomach too much and settled for a pint of Best from John Gilhooly instead.  Caroline, Jim and others congratulated me on my run and in particular my great negative split.  Caroline didn’t know it at the time but she had earned the third FS prize in the Tour.  Her Ayrshire born husband Stephen was awarded a special prize, a bottle of wine, for beating his wife, in a running sense of course!

I stopped off at Sammy Dow’s on the way home where my energetic dancing only served to amplify how sore my hamstring was.  Another great night in Glasgow’s sou’side. 


Pics by Kenny Phillips and Chris Craig. 

No comments:

Post a Comment