Sunday 9 January 2011

Glasgow parkrun #104 - alternative report.

The cold weather and snow returned to the west of Scotland this weekend as predicted.  My fingers were frozen as I cycled in and out of work and my running training was restricted to the treadmill.  My legs were feeling tired when I awoke on Saturday and made my way along through the snow covered streets to Pollok Park for the Glasgow parkrun.  Today’s ranks were swelled by Bellahouston Road Runners who had included the day’s event as one of their Club Championship races and 132 runners lined up for the alternative, alternative, alternative course.  This is the route on the field adjacent to the Burrell Art Gallery and Museum, which includes ten runs up the hill to the wooden gazebo.  In fact that route which has been used three times recently was slightly changed as the organisers decided that it would be better to run down the path/road rather than the trail through the woods.  Which I guess made the course the alternative, alternative, alternative, alternative one.  I had decided to wear my spikes but I wasn’t sure how they would cope with the path/road section.  I had also made up my mind that I wasn’t going to risk getting injured and would take this race easier than the other eight which I had ran recently.  
Slow Start - pic by D Glendinning

After exchanging Ne’er Day greetings with friends and running buddies, including Giffnock North’s Maureen McVey who had also won a prize at the recent Cambuslang races, I warmed up and made my way to the Start line.  I started further back in the field than usual and when we set off at 9:33am, I ascended the hill at a controlled (aka slow) pace.  By the time I had reached the gazebo, for the first time, I was already way down the pack.  I made my way along the ridge and as I started the downhill stage, I noticed Luke Traynor speeding up the hill.  Even at this stage he had a decent lead over the other elite runners.  Down the hill I ran, around Robert McEwan marshalling, and back up again receiving support from marshal Graeme Aitken on my way.  It was then past the gazebo and marshal Alan Dempster encouraged me through the woods and a quick right down the road. The spikes seemed ok, though I made an attempt to keep to the thicker snow.   A sharp right over an icy section and another right took us to the end of the first of five laps.  A pace of 5:11 was acceptable enough for me.  Warm cheers from the frozen time keepers, other volunteers and supporters encouraged us as we started lap two.  I could see that Luke had created a significant lead by this time and was pleased to negotiate lap two, in 5:03, without being lapped by him. 

I had spied Maureen ahead, running well, as I ran down the road section.  I managed to catch her on the uphill section but she caught me on the ridge and forged a gap between us on the next downhill section.  Luke lapped me just after the half way stage and I kept plodding along, completing my third lap in 5:05.  Niall McAlinden lapped me and then a bit later Greig Glendinning, quickly followed by Chris Upson.  Despite his personal battle with Chris, Greig took the time to say “Good running, Ian” as he passed me, to which I replied “Great running, Greig”.   

I couldn’t remember how many laps I had completed and was pleasantly surprised when Garmin indicated Lap 4, rather than Lap 3.  My penultimate kilometre had taken 5:10 and I increased my pace a bit for the final lap.  I was more than a little surprised when I reached the road/path section to see that Maureen was in sight.  There were a few runners in between us and I caught them as I sprinted down the hill.  I caught Maureen at the icy bend and raced across the line to finish the final lap in 4:46. I finished two seconds ahead of Maureen , with a time of  25:15.  Not a great time but a decent enough performance given that it was my ninth race in a fortnight.

Fast Finish - pic by C Upson
Winners
Luke won by over a minute, finishing in a brilliant time of 18:04, with Niall runner up in 19:12. Greig placed third in a time of 19:41, with Chris three seconds behind.
Toni McIntosh won the women's race in a time of 21:54, ahead of Bella RR's Jane Simpson (23:14) and Claire Wharton (23:41).
I then warmed down with Toni before heading to a surprisingly quiet Burrell Cafe for coffee and scone and a delightful view of Stuart McBeath doing a freedom run around the course.

Results

No comments:

Post a Comment