Monday 31 January 2011

My Race with a Marathon Running Legend

Me with a real runner......and RLS in the background
Although it was supposed to be my second week at the photography class, I had pre arranged a meeting in Auld Reekie with Julia Armstrong and had cleared my absence with the course lecturer. Of course I arranged our meeting to coincide with the Edinburgh parkrun and encouraged local runners Jennifer Telford and Jill Knowles to participate in the free 5k event.

I arrived at Cramond in plenty of time to warm up and chat with all three and others before lining up at the new start line for my second time in a month. I had checked my previous time (22:42) and set off with the intention of beating but not going flat out as I was racing in the Vets Relay on Sunday. As usual, Jill shot off into the distance to win the women's race, whilst Jenny, Julia and I settled into our individual races. The first kilometre took me 3:53 and I was surprised to see so many people overtaken me, an indication of how strong the field has become. I slowed quite a bit in the second kilometre, taking 4:18, as Jenny, followed by Julia ran ahead and Ruth Johnston caught up with me. I pulled away from Ruth and we ran around the triangular shaped part of the course. I could see Jenny well ahead and Julia in front and I thought I was working hard when Claire Houston sprinted past me and ran into the distance. The third kilometre had taken 4:08. We were now running into the icy wind and unfortunately my pace slipped to 4:16 for the penultimate kilometre. I set my sight on a young runner ahead with a ‘10 race parkrun vest’ on, unfortunately as I closed in on him, he pulled over to the left and vomited.

IMGL0111
Ron Russell's pic captures our sprint to the line
I could hear Carnegie’s ‘Key ring’ Morgan receiving a lot of support and knew that he was right on my tail. Jenny was already finished and was supporting me as Key ring and I sprinted towards the line to finish together. I stopped my Garmin in a time of 20:45 and congratulated ‘Key ring’ on his race. However I was gutted with my time, I’ve been training really hard and was confident that I would be able to improve on the time that I had recorded on 1st January. I was close to my time but just not good enough. Perhaps I had trained too hard during the week, my training is aimed at doing the Alloa Half but I was still confident that I could improve on my previous time.


You'll have had your tea - Gary Frater
I parked my disappointment and congratulated Jill, Jenny and Julia before handing in my barcode and heading off for my warm down. Jill and Jenny headed off to complete their day’s mileage, whilst Julia and I headed towards the Cramond Gallery Bistro. We were waiting outside for Julia’s brother to arrive, when we noticed someone speeding down the brae to the foreshore, it was last week’s Edinburgh parkrun winner and fellow Killie fan, Colin McGill. After a brief chat we left him to complete his 20 mile run, including 13 at marathon pace, and we headed for our ‘hard earned’ coffee and cake.

Thanks to Gary Frater and his team of hard working volunteers for ensuring that the, ever growing, Edinburgh parkrun is such a success.

Julia ran for England in the Commonwealth Games marathon in Edinburgh 25 years ago and will mark the anniversary by competing in this year's Edinburgh Marathon.

UPDATE …..UPDATE….UPDATE…..PB

When I received my email from Edinburgh parkrun advising me that I had completed my 66th event in a time of 20:44, I checked my previous results to discover that my previous time was actually 20:45 and not 20:42!! I had in fact run a course and season PB without realising it. It’s amazing the difference that a second or three can make to a runner.



1 comment:

  1. Well done on the SB! Like the picture - that is the look of determination!

    Stu

    ReplyDelete