Tuesday 28 December 2010

Cambuslang XC Race Reports - My 65th and final race of 2010.

Prize Wine
I had a great night out and a real good laugh and dance at Sammy Dow’s on Boxing Day, I had no intention of racing on Monday but when I awoke with a hangover and sore legs, I knew that a recovery run was required.  A quick look at the Ron Hill Cambuslang website revealed that there was a 3k option at their annual ‘Down by the River Race’ and although it had been changed to an ‘Around Cambuslang Rugby Pitch Race’ it was going ahead.  

I eventually found the Rugby Club, with the help of some kind locals, to discover that its car park had been transformed into an ice rink.  This didn’t bode well for the race.  In the clubhouse I met some weel kent faces including: local pair Stuart Gibson and Kirsty Grant; Helensburgh’s Jan Fellowes and Michele Hetherington; Bella Harriers Tom Keenan and David Hay; Motherwell’s Claire Barr; Victoria Park/CoG’s  Claire McCracken and ex running buddies Clare Blue and Julie Fitzpartrick.  Of course all of these were running in the longer race, which had been shortened from 10k to 7k.  I did think about changing my mind and doing the 7k instead but decided to be sensible for my third race in as many days.

I put on my spikes and gingerly made my way outside for my warm up before the pre race announcements.  The organisers apologised for the underfoot conditions advising that the slight thaw followed by last night’s freeze had made the course icy in parts.  They also explained that they had decided to start both races at the same time and asked for a show of hands from those running the 3k, nine tiny kids raised their arms and one adult before I meekly joined them.  With 26 participating in the longer race, 37 of us lined up for the 11am start. 

I started fairly quickly and then remembered that I was supposed to be doing a recovery run and slowed the pace significantly and watched as one runner after another overtook me, the last two being Julie Fitzpatrick and Clare Blue.  As I approached the end of my first lap, I decided to up the pace a little and managed to catch Clare and a little lad as we left the rugby pitch.  A bit further on I caught Julie and finished my two lap race just behind local youngster Rachel Black.  I looked at my Garmin and saw that my time was 11:57, a decent enough time for a 3k but there was no way I had run a sub 12min 3k, Garmin backed me up by revealing that the distance was in fact 2.6k. 


I had planned in doing a little further, so quickly removed my number and headed out to do a further lap, keeping to the left so that the racers could pass.  After my third lap, I chatted with the organisers, joked about my top ten finish and gave them a rendition of ‘Ross Mathie fae Cambuslang’.

The RHC web site reports:
First home in the 3K race was local lad and fast improving Jack McGregor in a time of 9m 57secs, ahead of Stuart Tytler in 10m 22secs. 1st Female home was Under 11 Rona Tytler of Kilbarchan AAC in 11m 13 secs, 1 second ahead of Rachel Black of RHC.

I then had the pleasure of encouraging the 7k runners down the final strait.   

Here’s the report of the 7k from the Ron Hill Cambuslang web site:
The 7k race was warming up nicely with the RHC trio of Stuart Gibson, Johnny MacNamara and Iain Reid breaking away whilst setting a very brisk pace. The following group turned out to be a battle of the vets with Denis Williams of Shettleston, Paul Thompson of Helensburgh and Frank Hurley of RHC all working hard. A little further back and Claire McCracken was running well to lead the ladies from Michelle Hetherington of Helensburgh, with Clare Barr of Motherwell and Kirsty Grant of RHC having a great battle for 3rd place.

Stuart Gibson had upped the pace on a number of occasions to open a gap on 3rd placed Iain Reid, but Johnnny MacNamara was proving somewhat more difficult to drop in 2nd place. However a small but decisive gap opened up as they both entered the last of the 5 laps, and Stuart ended up finishing 9secs ahead of Johnnny, with Iain 25 seconds further behind. Paul Thompson and Denis Williams had a ding dong battle throughout and a final push for the line saw Paul (1st V50) get the better of Denis (1st V40) in 4th and 5th positions respectively, with Frank Hurley having an excellent run not far behind. In his 1st race as a V60, Tam McPake of RHC had an excellent run to pick up 1st V60 prize.

Claire consolidated her fine run to finish over 1 minute ahead of 2nd place Michelle, whilst Clare got the better of Kirsty for 3rd place with only 2 seconds to spare. Maureen McVey of Giffnock was next lady home to claim the V45 prize, with youngster Mairi Brown of RHC running well to be 1st junior lady. Julie Fitzpatrick of Bellahouston RR was next home to collect 1st V35 prize, and Jan Fellowes of Helensburgh joined husband Paul Thompson as a prize winner by scooping 1st F55 prize.

I won....ish
Some hot complimentary food and drinks were laid on post race in the clubhouse and the prizes awarded, I hadn’t realised that the only other adult Stuart Tyler had finished second, for which he received a selection box, which meant that I was declared the first veteran and happily accepted my well earned bottle of wine.  It was good to see so many friends receiving prizes and to share some banter with running buddies before making my way back to Glasgow.

Well done to all concerned and a special thank you to the sponsors of both races (MacDet, Achilles Heel, Barnie & Freddie) who provided the many prizes, including a certain bottle of wine.

XC 3k


Age
Indiv
Fin
Name
Club
Cat
Group
Time
Pos.
Jack McGregor
RHC
M
U15
09:57
1
Stuart Tytler
U/A
M
V50
10:22
2
Charlie Wighton
Kilbarchan
M
U15
10:35
3
Struan Paton
RHC
M
U11
10:36
4
Grant McGregor
RHC
M
U13
11:08
5
Fraser Ebbitt
RHC
M
U15
11:12
6
Drew Pollock
RHC
M
U11
11:12
7
Rona Tytler
Kilbarchan
F
U11
11:13
8
Rachel Black
RHC
F
U13
11:52
9
Ian Gouldie
Kilmarnock
M
V50
11:57
10
Christopher McLew
RHC
M
U11
12:29
11

No comments:

Post a Comment