Monday 3 January 2011

Lenzie Jog on the Ice

I decided that as I had a planned 20min recovery run after yesterday’s race to take in the Lenzie Jog 2.5 mile course.   Although the Kirkintilloch Olympians’ web site was inaccessible I did notice that some photos had been posted on Facebook showing some of their members clearing away some of the ice on the course and presumed that the race would be on.  I looked at my trail shoes and headed out along the M80 to Lenzie and was redirected to a local church hall, which would act as this year’s race HQ.

There were three races being staged: a 2k family run; the 2.5mile run and the 5mile run, which was twice around the 2.5mile circuit.  I met up with a few of the Kirkies as well as Giuseppe and Graeme Aitken.  Both Graeme and I had plumped for the one lap event.  Race Director, Robert Rogerson gave his usual efficient pre race instructions and warned us that despite some volunteers given up fours yesterday and some more time this morning, there was still a bit of the course which was very icy and could only be traversed on the part which had been gritted.  We gave the volunteers a round of applause and set off at 11am.  I started nice and slowly and tucked in behind Christopher Craig for a short while, until he got into his race mode and left me way behind.  Around the houses we ran, avoiding the remaining patches of ice on the road.  I was quite comfortable with my pace until I noticed Graeme on my shoulder and decided to increase my speed enough to keep him at bay.
Almost There.....

Annmarie then marshalled us onto the icy path and we adopted single file.  There were a couple of youngsters in front of me and a guy enthusiastically coaching his nephew behind me.  At the end of the path, I managed to overtake the two youngsters and chased after a bald guy in front.  He seemed to know where he was going, so I was happy let him lead.  Around the new Health Centre we ran and then across a park to a road, where I could see other runners making their way towards us. For a moment I thought that these runners were in front of us and that there was a turning point ahead.  However the chap in front veered left and I followed him.  Eventually we made our way back to the icy path.  By now I was right on his tail.  Annmarie gave me a shout of encouragement and as soon as we left the path I overtook him.  There was a Kirkintilloch youngster a good bit in front and I realised that I would need to close the gap on him pretty quickly if I was to follow his lead.  I succeeded and then recognised the hills which form the last section of the course.  I ran up past Karen Craig who was taken photos and then turned right onto the main road before a sharp right took me down the side of the local hall and over the Finish line.  I had completed the course in 18:05 and my splits were: 4:22; 4:42; 4:38 and 4:23.  Given the underfoot conditions and the 100ft climb at the end, I was happy with my run, I had bagged another PB although once again my plan to take it easy was thwarted.

Superlatives aren’t enough to express my gratitude to the Kirkintilloch Olympians and the hard work that they put in to ensure that the races took place.

No comments:

Post a Comment