Saturday 13 December 2014

My Sixth Anniversary at Pollok, ...sorry Victoria parkrun!

Six years ago, to the day, I ran my first parkrun and today I headed back to Pollok Park to run my 151st. Unfortunately, and unusually, the event was cancelled, due to the icy and dangerous underfoot conditions. I made a quick decision to cross the city and run the Victoria parkrun instead. I knew that I would be lucky to get there in time and it was no great surprise to see the runners making their way around the course as I reached the park. I quickly parked the car and sped through the gates and past the Start line. I pointed out the situation to the marshals as I set off after the other runners, almost two minutes late.

Playing Catch Up!
There was a young lass who had also started late and she was my first target, after her it was the tail runners but it took me one kilometre to reach them. I began to work my way up through the field. At the end of the first lap the Marshals were all enthusiastically shouting my name as I continued my task. Another couple of laps of steady progress and I was making my way towards the Finish line. Having overtaken some 76 runners, I crossed the line in 62nd position.

My watch time was 22:15 but with no warm up, icy conditions and having to work my way through the field, I was happy enough with my time, of course my official time was somewhat slower at 24:09 but I was pleased to mark my sixth anniversary of parkrunning and to bag my 10th Victoria parkrun.

Many thanks to all the volunteers and my fellow runners for their hardwork and support.

Pic by Donald Petrie


Full Results here

No comments:

Post a Comment