Monday 22 December 2014

Mistaken Identity Leads to PB at Victoria parkrun

Focussed Start.....
I ran my 11th Victoria parkrun on Saturday 20th December 2014 and I made sure that I got there in plenty of time this week. It was a bit chilly as I warmed up with Bellahouston Harrier club mates Paul Clawson and John Cunningham. A quick chat with a number of running buddies and I lined up with the other 166 runners for the 9:30am Start. 

 There were a few puddles but no ice this week as we made our way around the three lap course for the first time. It was a bit cluttered at points but I had a steady lap. I was just thinking that I would settle for beating my clubmate John, when he appeared on my shoulder. I instantly upped my pace to hold him off. I was working hard during the next lap and got a bit confused with how far was to go, a quick look at my Garmin, which said 2,77km, and I knew that I had another lap to go. In the final lap John overtook me but again I increased my pace and immediately reclaimed my lead. I continued to increase my pace hopng to build up a gap on him and started focussing more on those runners ahead of me. As I turned left, towards the Finish, I caught up with Garscube's Kieran McLaughlin, who promptly took up the challenge and we ran shoulder to shoulder until I outsprinted him in the final strait, to cross the line in 28th place, with a time of 20:43. A PB by an amazing 10 seconds! Although the official result was 20:44, it didn't take any shine off of my performance. I placed my highest in the field ever at Victoria park and earned my highest wava of all time at 75.4%!

Look a Likes

The real John Cunningham
After I reclaimed some of my composure, I turned to see that it hadn't been John that was chasing me but Gary McLinton, who had the same vest, hat and girth as John! Gary finished in 32nd place, with a time of 20:57, whilst the real John Cunningham still smashed his PB, crossing the line in 42nd place, with a time of 21:24. 

Results

Up front, Paul was only three seconds off of his PB, placing 3rd, with a time of 17:33. The winner, Del Young crossed the line in 17:12 and Sean Reid placed second in 17:27.

In the women's race, Sharon Muir took Gold, placing 13th overall, in a time of 19:05. Making her debut, Bristol and West AC's Penny Gardiner was runner up, 21st overall, with a time of 20:18, whilst Marian Kelly's PB of 20:37 earned her third place, 26th overall.



Well done to everyone who participated and, once again, many thanks to all the volunteers for ensuring another great event.     

Main pic courtesy of Mark Rodger, processed by Ian Goudie Photography.

Full results here

No comments:

Post a Comment