Saturday 27 December 2014

Christmas Crackers at Pollok Park

411 Xmas Day Runners at the Start - pic courtesy of Mary Senior
It's now six years since the first Glasgow parkrun Christmas event. In 2009 the 5k had to be run on an alternate, out and back route through the snow, ice and slush. Thirty hardy souls braved the winter weather and Luke Traynor and Toni McIntosh won the race, with times of 17:49 and 19:15 respectively, Toni placed second overall and Jim Buick placed third, in a time of 19:43. I made up the numbers, placing 15th, with a time of 22:43. Only four of us have raced in every Glasgow/Pollok Christmas Day parkrun. Unfortunately Toni didn't make it this year but the remaining three of us were joined by an incredible 408 other runners.

After a sleepless night, I wasn't looking to chase a PB but checked my 2013 Christmas parkrun time, 22:39, and decided that this would be my target today.

The pre race announcements were much briefer than normal and we were sent off but not very fast, as the large numbers resulted in early congestion and those of us further back had to resort to walking a few steps. However it didn't take long for the field to open up. 

I spotted Mary Senior ahead of me, she's had a great couple of years, and I figured that if I could keep her in sight, I would do OK. Although the gap between us widened in the first half, I closed it a bit in the second half and in particular in the final kilometre.
Mary Senior sets the pace

 I was extremely pleased to discover that I had crossed the line in 65th place (55th man), with a time of 21:12, which was well below my target and was infact my fastest time at Pollok in over four years. 

The only downside was that I felt a ping in my groin at the half way stage, which worried me but didn't stop me from finishing the race, although it did put paid to any (slim) hopes I had of competing in the Ayr Turkey Trot - given that I didn't have a place.

Mary finished just six seconds off of her PB, with a time of 21:05, to place 60th overall and 10th woman.

Jim Buick, in a fancy dress outfit, placed 42nd with a time of 19:05.
Ever present -Jim Buick














100 Club

Congratulations to Kenneth Wharton who ran his 100th parkrun today, dressed as Santa!


Race Results


Men's Race
Six of the Best from Luke!

Giffnock North's Luke Traynor maintained his 100% Christmas record, winning the event in a time of 15:59, for the sixth time in a row! The runner up was recorded as “Unknown” (no barcode!) and Bellahouston Harrier Stuart MacDougall, earned Bronze for the second year in a row, with a time of 17:41.

Women's Race

Far travelled, Claire Somerton of Cambridge and Coleridge AC won the women's event, with a time of 18:26. Annabel Brown was runner up, with a PB 19:06 and Ruth Joss earned Bronze, with a time of 19:40.

Post Race

I exchanged Festive Greetings and mutual congratulations with various running buddies as I made my way back through the puddles to hand in my barcode. There was a wide and varied selection of cakes, mince pies, chocolates and assorted home baking accompanied by hot chocolate, coffee and tea provided by volunteers and runners alike, which added to the community spirit of the day. It all made for a great start to Christmas Day 2014. My thanks to everyone involved: runners, organisers, volunteers, photographers and supporters. Merry Christmas to one and all!



Pics by Christopher Quinn here

No comments:

Post a Comment