Saturday 16 July 2011

Falkirk's First and my Hundredth 5k



Saturday 16 July 2011 will go down as a landmark figure in Scottish running as it witnessed the inaugural Falkirk parkrun.  The Forth Valley event being the latest addition to the free weekly 5k family in Scotland, run exclusively by volunteers for runners of all levels.  It also marked my 100th 5k, so I decided to combine the two occasions and made my way along the 22.2 miles to Callender Park.  

After a pit stop at the local McDonalds, I arrived at the designated car park in plenty of time.  The first person I met was Scott McQuade, who, despite being an east coaster, is a regular at the Glasgow parkrun.  Other familiar faces were quick to appear donned in their specially commissioned ’weegie parkrunners on tour’ white t-shirts. 

I warmed up with Scott and Bellahouston Harrier Ruairidh MacDonald as we made our way from the car park along Estate Ave to the Start line at Callender House.  We were discussing the route, when we noticed a yellow race sign pointing to the right, towards what looked to be a long and steep hill. 
Ruairidh commented that we shouldn’t assume that the Falkirk event would be any easier than the Glasgow one, how right he was.

After my warm up I assembled in front of the House with another 145 runners.  Whilst the Glasgow horde also included Tom and Carol Keenan; Tom Ross; Jim Carson; Gerry Gallacher; Sarah and Annette Whalen; Pam Parker; Russell Couper, Caroline Dow; Laura Ritchie and others.  It was also good to see some less familiar parkrun faces including: Ross Milne; Jane Waterhouse, Sue Woods. Louise Couper and Beryl Junnier.  I chatted with Jane about appropriate footwear for the day and we then listened to the Race Director describing the course.  I had read the description, on the website, and knew that the route could best be described as multi-terrain, as it included: tarmac, shingle, grass and trail sections.  I had selected to wear my New Balance 1225s, whilst Jane was wearing race shoes.  It wasn’t that long until we were set off on our way with the words “enjoy your run” ringing in our ears.

 
Race Report
Although there had been some heavy overnight rain, the conditions at 9:30 am were almost ideal for running.  The Start along the crescent opposite the house was a little congested and I had to negotiate a slight bottle neck as we were directed leftwards and onto the grass, albeit briefly.  Joining the road again, a gradual incline took us along side the pond, where a marshal directed us onto a steeper, tree lined trail route.  I had climbed 18 metres when my Garmin beeped to indicate that the first kilometre had taken 4:16., which I was happy enough with.  I had been running along side Marie Storrie but as the incline continued to increase and my pace continued to decrease, she left me behind.  We climbed a further 18 metres in the next 0.7km and the second kilometre took me 4:52.  Thankfully the route now headed downwards before a very sharp right took us towards Kemper Avenue.  I was aware that the biggest hill was still to come and perhaps didn’t run as fast as I could.  The 3rd k took me 4:26 to descend 34 metres.

The path now took us through the Golf course and onto Estate Ave, where the sign which I had earlier spotted directed me towards that hill.  There were a number of people in front of me that were either walking or running very slowly indeed as they struggled up the 33 metre climb.  I had decided to resist the temptation to race last weekend and had instead put myself through a gruelling 12 x hill session.  I was to get the physical and, perhaps more importantly, psychological benefit today as I overtook a few runners on the hill, including Lana Turnbull.  Don’t get me wrong, I was running slow but the other runners were slower, apart from Marie Storrie who I could see was still running strong.   I was pleased to see the marshal directing me off to our left and we rejoined the trail path, retracing our footsteps back towards the start.  I tried to catch up down the hill but the 4th k still took me 5:05.

I knew that it was basically downhill all the way to the Finish but my legs felt tired and wouldn’t run as fast as I wanted them to.  There was nothing I could do to stop Lana Turnbull overtaking me, I made a final dash, across the grass, to the line and could hear my Garmin bleep before crossing the Finish in 44th place, with a time of 23:14.  My final kilometre had taken a disappointing 4:25 but I really don’t think I could have tried much harder on the day.

Although my official time was given as 23:15 and Garmin measured the route at 3.13, I never get hung up about these things.

I congratulated Lana who had finished in 23:13 and Marie who had completed the testing course in 22:43, as we waited to hand in our barcodes.  Although it’s not a course for a PB it is a very good course and everyone seemed to enjoy their race. 



Applause and Avid Readers
It was good to join in with the applause for Annette Whalen and then David Cornforth as they closed the race with respective times of 41:31 and 43:36.

As I stood enjoying the post race chat, someone introduced themselves as ‘an avid reader of my blog’, which was very nice of them.

It was also nice of those sitting enjoying their post race coffee in the morning sunshine in the Stables Tearoom garden to burst into a impromptu round of applause to greet the army of volunteers when they joined us after their sterling efforts in creating a welcome addition to the running calendar in Scotland.


Results
Carnegie Harrier, Andrew Wright enters the record book as the first person to win the Falkirk parkrun, with Ochil Hill Runner, Tracey Brindley being the first woman, with times of 16:40 and 18:56.

Central’s young pair of Ross Milne and David Hutchison joined the podium, with times of 16:54 and 17:41.  Whilst, Wee County Harrier, Beryl Junnier and Central’s Eilidh Toni MacCorquodale were second and third woman, with times of 20:22 and 21:23 respectively.

Full Results


Summary

Post Race Coffee

A great way to celebrate my 100th 5k and my 78th parkrun by running in Scotland’s youngest 5k.  Thanks to all who participated in the great wee event, I’ll be back!

No comments:

Post a Comment