Friday 8 July 2011

Bellahouston Harriers Two Mile Time Trial - 7 July 2011

Having run a fairly testing interval session on Wednesday, I wasn’t really up to a two mile race on Thursday, however I had a ‘three mile easy run’ scheduled and decided to combine them both.


I headed down to the home of Bellahouston Harriers and ‘warmed up’ by running along the puddle strewn road in a heavy rain shower. As the rain abated, I lined up with the other runners for the start of the two mile time trial. The numbers were down from the June event, probably as a result of the weather, and there was no-one evident that I could focus on for a race. I wasn’t too disappointed through, as I really wasn’t psychologically or physically prepared for a race.

Nearly Finished
At 6:58pm we were set off on our way through Pollok Park, running from Cartha Rugby Club towards Pollok House. I never rely on Garmin within Pollok Park but post race analysis would indicate that the first k took me just under 4 minutes (3:56) before I settled down to a 4:26 pace for the next two kilometres. If I hadn’t had a few people breathing down my neck, I would have probably slowed down a bit in the hilly second half of the race. I was therefore not at all concerned when first Alan Dempster and then Richard Leyton overtook me. It’s good to see both of them finding a bit of form. I did give myself a kick up the bahookey and increased the pace for the last wee bit of the race, to take me over the line in a time of 13:24.
Post Race Banter

17 seconds slower than on 9 June. I wasn’t surprised at my time as I wasn’t really in race mode and in this game you don’t improve on your performances unless you work hard.

Not Fit to Run a Taxi Firm Let Alone a Media Empire
Of course my lack of effort didn’t stop me enjoying in the post race repartee, accompanied with some rather fine home made soup and rolls, before ‘rewarding’ myself with a pint or two of the black stuff and heading home to catch Question Time and the debate about the outrageous activities of the Murdoch Empire


Once again thanks to all concerned with the friendly event.

Pics by Angela Campbell
Results to follow.

No comments:

Post a Comment