Saturday 10 January 2015

First Again! This time at a wind swept Tollcross parkrun

Victories are like buses you wait for ages then two come along one after another. I had waited 155 parkruns to win my first age category last week at Ayr and then I repeated my success today at Tollcross.

I hadn't done a hill session for a while, so I decided to return to the hilly east end of Glasgow parkrun for the first time since May 2014. I ran a course PB of 22:18 in my last outing and was hoping to do the same today but the elements were against me. Gale force winds and rain hadn't helped my insomnia and the signs, were quite literally ominous with Transport Scotland warning of snow as I made my way along the M74.

Tollcross Bandstand
I was aware that a number of parkruns had been cancelled due to the weather but thankfully Tollcross was on, although there were a couple of slight detours across the grass, to avoid large piles of earth on the path. It was good to see some old friends both volunteering and running and to exchange New Year greetings with them before the race. Most people were sheltering from the wind and snow in the bandstand before Christopher McKiddie sent us on our way into the hills and the strong wind. 

 It was tough going and I was working hard, I found myself playing leap frog with a younger runner in a blue top for the first 3k but then pulled away from him and caught a couple of other runners in the last 2k.

A sprint over the grass on the final strait took me over the line in 14th place, with a time of 22:26. No PB but only eight seconds off of it, many runners were well over a minute off their PBs today, so I was happy with that and I don't think I could have performed much better in the conditions. The icing on the cake was when I received the results to see that I had, for the second week in succession, placed first in my age group category and second in the overall Age Grade score with a WAVA of 69.69%, only being beaten by the event winner Shaun Butler, who crossed the line in a time of 18:22 and a WAVA of 70.60%.

Fellow Bellahouston Harrier, Darren Murray placed 11th with a time of 21:54.

Lesley McArdle won the women's race, placing 23rd overall, in 24:05.

A total of 79 runners braved the elements in this the 89th Tollcross parkrun, well done to all of them and also to the volunteers who made the event happen.

Full results here

Post Race Note

Great to see that Saturday's performance  was good enough to take my handicap down from 9.0 to 8,9.  The race was given an SSS of 4.0 and my time earned a vSSS of -0.6.  Early 2015 progress.

No comments:

Post a Comment