Friday 9 January 2015

First Footing and First in Age Groups at Ayr parkrun

Ayr parkrun
My first race of 2015 was the Ayr parkrun on Saturday 3rd January. We arrived in Prestwick very late on Friday night from Spain to be welcomed by the wind and the rain. We had left our car at friends in Ayr who also kindly picked us up and gave us a bed for the night. Whilst the wind and the rain had abated by Saturday morning it was still very chilly and the race director pointed out that the course, which is entirely run on trail paths and grass, was heavy going, with a number of puddles and lots of lovely mud.

A decent turnout of 59 runners had made their way to Rozelle Park for the 17th Ayr parkrun, including Ayrshire based Bellahouston Harrier, Ruairidh Macdonald, and Ayr Seaforth's Toni McIntosh.

Both Maggie and I had particpipated in the inaugural Ayr parkrun, when our race preperation and conditions on the day had been more favourable, neither of us would be chasing a PB today.

As the race started, I found myself in sixth position until the first kilometre when Toni passed me. I could feel myself tiring and wasn't surprised when another couple of runners overtook me. I tried to keep at least one runner in sight over the next 3k and was pleased, when we returned to the pond to see the two runners close to each other ahead. I injected a bit of pace and managed to catch both of them at once. I could spy Toni in front and my task was to try to finish as close to her as possible, whilst ensuring that no-one overtook me. The final kilometre seemed to go on for ages but I was pleased to sprint along the grass and over the line to place 7th with a time of 23:38. Whilst this was 39 seconds over my previous Ayr outing, I was happy enough with my parformance. One I recovered my breath, I shared mutual congratulations with those around me befor cheering Maggie along the final strait.

First in my Age Category


The winner - Alasdair Marshall
As it happens, the two guys that I caught were both in my age group and, possibly for the first time ever, after 155 parkruns, I placed first in my age grade category. Al Maclachlan and/or John Gilhooly normally depriving me. I was also second in the overall Age Grade score, only being beaten by the event winner, Southampton based, Alasdair Marshall, who crossed the line in a time of 20:13.

Toni placed first in the Women's Race, sixth overall,with a time of 23:25 and Maggie also placed first in her age category, 5th female and 25th overall, with a time of 28:37


How hard?

The difficult conditions on the day were relected in Runbritain awarding the event an SSS of 5.0! My vSSS being 0.6. Explanation of this here

Many Thanks to the volunteers

We are very grateful to the volunteers who made this event happen: James Andrew, Stewart Bailey, Jason Bell, Euan Bell, Eilidh Cotter, Jenny Ellis, Nicola Fraser, Gayle Glandinning, Gillian Hornby, Kirstie MacKenzie, Faye Murfet, Katherine Paisley, Elaine Sykes and Deborah Telfer.


Thanks also to the staff at the Rozelle Tea Room for the lovely warm fruit scones.

No comments:

Post a Comment