Saturday 21 December 2013

parkrun 130 bagged at Tollcross

Back Club Training

With the camera club closed for the Christmas Holidays I made my return to training with Bellahouston Harriers, it was good to be back. The session was three times around the Sherbrook Hills, a session that I've been doing on my own most Thursday nights, although I tend to do them at constant pace, rather than this session, which was fast up the hills and then jog recoveries. I was pleased with my performance and the kind words from my running buddies about my level of fitness and loss of weight. An 'easy' run around Queens Park on Wednesday and I was back at the Club again on Thursday. This time it was around Bellahouston Park, for an extended warm up, followed by 8x 220 interval reps along Fleurs Ave. It was cold, dark and wet and ice was starting to form on the road, which meant that underfoot conditions were a little hazardous. I had another good outing and was running alongside others who would have normally been well ahead of me. A rest day on Friday, should have seen me race fresh for Saturday but my legs were still a bit tired from my exertions on Thursday.

Tollcross parkrun #34

After a 1k warm up,  I lined up with 45 others, including my training partner Adele Walker and another four Belahouston Harriers. Myself and many others marked the occasion by donning Santa hats or other festive attire. It was a bit cold and there was a slight breeze as we lined up for the 9:30am Start. With no Dave Thom or Shaun Butler, it looked as if it would be an easy win for Cambuslang's Shaz Hazeem who sprinted away from the off as did Adele in the women's race. I wasn't out to break any records and settled into my own race. After the first kilometre, I found myself just behind a tall Athetite Tri Club runner, Derek Boyd, but managed to catch him on the uphill alongside Muiryfauld Drive. I think I'm quite good at running downhill, so I was a bit surprised to hear footsteps catching me as I raced down, from the side of my eye I noticed that it wasn't the Tri Athlite but a runner in a blue top, as he overtook me, I realised that it was fella Bella Ian Anscombe, who's had a great Season. I would have been happy just to sit in behind Ian but he seemed to slow and I stepped out and ran passed him. He caught me again at the 2k point but I pressed ahead and started to focus on those ahead of me, including Adele. The weather was worsening, the wind was getting up and the rain was coming down. I used all my experience to keep positive and managed to catch the three runners between myself and Adele, finishing strongly to place 15th just one spot behind her. I was disappointed with my time of 23:20 but it wasn't a day for P.Bs. Ian placed16th in 23:35.

Results

As predicted Shaz had stormed to victory, crossing the line in a time of 19:02, Martin McNellis earned Silver in his first attempt and a non barcode runner placed third. In her second race at Tollcross, Lisa Noble maintained her 100% record, winning the woman's race in an excellent time of 21:17, placing 9th overall. Adele placed second woman, 14th overall, with a great time of 22:58, with Bellahouston Harrier, Katy Smith, continuing her fine form, to place 3rd, 21st overall, with a time of 24:30.

Other Bellahouston Harrier times: Angela Campbell, 4th woman, 22nd overall, in 24:46 and Robbie Smith 30th in 26:42.

Post Run

With the weather turning even nastier, I joined the other runners hurdled under the Bandstand for some cake and tablet before heading home in the driving rain. Once again it was great to spend my Saturday morning with running buddies and a special vote of thanks to the volunteers who braved the conditions to allow the event to take place.

Parkrun 130 in the bag!





No comments:

Post a Comment