Tuesday 31 December 2013

2013 in Review -My Long Road Back to Fitness

Some of my running medals
After missing almost six months of running due to my Chronic Fatigue, I was more than a little surprised to see that I've actually ran 29 races during 2013. My aim was to run a 10k and, if at all possible, to get a Half Marathon under my belt. I'm pleased to say that I achieved both but it was a long, long road back to fitness, with a couple of false dawns and for much of the first five months of the year. When I was feeling up to it, I'd do a wee bit of yoga and then a little walking before progressing to a 1km slow run, which I steadily increased over the weeks and months. In March I managed to run a total of 7miles.

My comeback race was the inaugural Tollcross parkrun, held on 4 May. I managed around the undulating 5k in a time of 25:18, which was quicker than I had expected. Two weeks later, I couldn't resist commemorating the early death of my sister, by running in the MND Scotland 6mile event at Strathclyde Park. Again I was happy with my performance, which saw me completing the run in a time of 47:10.

After a gap of six months, I returned to the Glasgow parkrun in Pollok Park on 1st June and completed the testing 5k in a time of 24:25. The next week, I ran Strathclyde parkrun in 23:07 and on 12th June I ran the Bonnet Guild 5k in my 'home town' of Stewarton in 24:13.

Bella Pacers at the 10k
I had agreed to pace 55 mins at the Men's Health 10k, which gave my training focus, and I completed my first 10k of the year in 54:16 on 16th June. On 6 July it was back down to Ayrshire for two races, my first attempt at Eglinton parkrun on 6 July (24:34) and Kilmaurs Gala 5k on 31st July (23:35). Although I was enjoying being back racing, I was far short of where I used to be but I took positives from every race and kept on increasing my training. My mileage had increased steadily from 43 in April, to 57 in May, 66 in June and 94 in July.

Post Perth 10k
August saw the Tour of Clydeside series of four races in a week, I settled for two: the Kilbarchan Klassic 5.5mile race on the 5th, where I placed second last in 41:17 and the Bella Belter 10k on the 9th, where I placed further up the field in 47:33. The next day, I took my time and completed the Glasgow parkrun in 26:35. I returned the following week and took 60seconds off of my time. The 25th August saw me trying a new race for me, the Perth 10k and my best performance of the season was spoiled by the course being short (9.67k), I finished in 46:20 and had clocked up 122 miles in the month.

Great Scottish Pacers
On 8th September I ran, with a small field, in the inaugural Bothwell Scarecrow 10k completing the course in 47:44. I was now training to pace 2hours at the Great Scottish Half Marathon and the only other race of the month was a return to the 3k on the Green on 27th September, where I was happy enough to complete the course in my slowest ever time of 12:52. My total mileage for the month being 106.

I planed to complete the Half Marathon on 6th October in 1:58:00 and settled for being a little fast at 1:57:07. The next Saturday was the inaugural Victoria parkrun and I completed the flat 5k in 22:39. A fortnight later (26th October) and it was back to Pollok Park, where I completed the undulating Glasgow parkrun in 23:52. I ran a total of 138 miles in October, the most that I had ever run during that month.

By now I was training six days a week and had found a new training partner in Adele Walker. My Club Training sessions being curtailed due to my Photography Club meeting on Tuesdays and my concern that I might have a relapse or get injured if I was to push myself too much at the Thursday Track Sessions. In November I did a wee tour of parkruns, doing Victoria in 22:24; Strathclyde in 22:43; Tollcross in 23:14; and Eglinton in 22:42 before heading off to the sunnier climes of Thailand. I ran 132 miles in November, which was another record for me.

Although the 20km Road Race, that I was planning in doing, was postponed due to protests in Bangkok, I did manage to complete a couple of Hash Runs and an 8.3k Race for the King's Birthday, in which I placed second. Although the 32C temperatures and busy roads made it difficult, I kept running six days a week, although my mileage was down.

After my travels, I returned fit, healthy and confident to Bellahouston Harriers training sessions.  My training was starting to show results and I was finish the year on a high as I completed a windy Tollcross parkrun on 21st December in 23:20; the Glasgow parkrun on Christmas Day in 22:39 and, to top it all off, the Ayr Turkey Trot 10k on Boxing Day, which was to be my best performance in 30 months. I completed the course in 44:42 with a wava of 72.16%. My December mileage was125, which takes my total for the year to 914, not too bad given my start to the year. That's a total of 8485 miles that I've run since reaching 50 years of age. If I have a good year in 2014, I might just reach 10,000 miles!

Finishing on a high at Ayr Turkey Trot
Hopefully, my training and recent performances will set me up well for a good 2014 but, to be honest, I'm just happy to be back running.

I hope that you've had a good 2013 and that it's finished on a high, many friends and running buddies have giving me support over the months which, believe me, is much appreciated.

Here's looking forward to 2014 and all it brings. May all your miles be happy ones! 

No comments:

Post a Comment