Monday 4 November 2013

Best Race in 12 Months

I had my hardest training week of the year and I'm cofident of getting the results in the months ahead but my 126rd parkrun and my second at the new Victoria Park event gave me the opportunity to test my progress.  There was a good turnout of running buddies, not least of the contingents from Clydesdale Harriers and Bellahouston Harriers, among the 177 runners who lined up in the west of Glasgow for the free 5k event.  It was a bit chilly as we lined up for the 9.30 Start and the frozen marshals kept us right as we ran around the three laps of one of Glasgow's prettiest parks.  I started fairly quickly and then unfortunately slowed down a bit as I struggled a bit both mentally and physically but after playing leap frog with Maryhill's Chris Hever, he eventually left me behind as he ran to a PB. I did manage to catch Westerland's Peter Grassl in the final strait to cross the line in 74th place, with a time of 22:24.  Slower than what I would have liked but 15 seconds faster than two weeks ago, round a slightly shorter course.  So I'm still making progress and I was delighted to look back at my records to see that it was actually my best race performance in 12 months, just outside of my target of 70% wava and enough to bring my Run Britain Handicap down, albeit it only by 0.1.  But progress is progress and as I said earlier, I'm sure all the training I'm doing at the moment will transform into performances in future races.   

Once again many thanks to the volunteers who braved the cold weather to allow us to enjoy our run.

No comments:

Post a Comment