Saturday 28 September 2013

Feeling Green at the 3k in Glasgow

August 2013

Friday was the local September weekend holiday, I remember when it seemed that the whole of Glasgow would converge on Blackpool for the weekend.  These days I'm not sure how many head to the North of England resort for a fun packed weekend but I'm certain that there's no longer a mass exodus from the 'dear green place'.   In fact I'm not sure how many people working in Glasgow actually get the holiday as Globlisation doesn't tend to respect local cultures and traditions.  Friday was also the last Friday of the month, which is the usual date for the monthly 3k race on the Green.  A couple of people had contacted me, inquiring to whether or not the event would be on, a quick check on their web site revealed that not only would it be on but this month's race would mark the second anniversary of Al Murray taking the reigns from the previous organiser Mel, who went off on Maternity Leave.

The Kilmarnock Harrier and his colleagues from the Clydesdale Bank have one a great job in organising the Friday lunch time races and and also raised over £3,000 for a variety of charities, which is very impressive when the the entrance fee is only £2 and runners get a race number, a post run bottle of water and a choice of mini chocolate bars etc.  £1,690 being raised from race entry fees the majority of which, when donated to Help the Hospices, has been matched by Clydesdale Bank as its charity partner.

Al and his colleagues give up their time to ensure a smooth registration process, good timekeeping and an efficient results service.  Kevin Brydon has set up and manages the race web presence www.3konthegreen.com

Al and Ken occasionally get the opportunity to run as well but more often they ensure that others get the opportunity to enjoy a lunch time race.

Sadly illness, injury and work commitments has meant that I've not been able to run the race for a while, although I have helped out, supported the runners and taken a few photos on occasion too.
A message on Facebook on the morning of the 27th Sept, from a running buddy, indicating that despite being hungover and over weight that he would still be running in the 3k was enough to convince me to join him.  I shared these handicaps and I'm also been suffering from a torn calf muscle.  As I made my way to Glasgow Green, I could feel the tightness in my left leg and wasn't sure if I would be able to race or not.

However after a warm up and much chatting with friends old and new, just befor 12:30, I lined up with some 53 others under the  McLennan Arch.   Al provided an update on the last two years and the runners expressed their appreciation, in the usual manner, before we set off on the 3k race, initially following the Clyde upstream.  I had set my goals to try to beat my old sparring partners Tom Keenan and Graeme Aitken.  Although both have, like me, experienced a dip in form, their recent results have shown a lot of improvement and I knew that I would need to work hard to beat them.

I started shoulder to shoulder with Tom but at the first opportunity I broke away and was happy with a time of 4:13 for the first kilometre.  That said, I was feeling rough and I couldn't keep up with the runners around me.  Once again, I found myself running on my own, with a gap between those in front and no sound of anyone being close behind me.  There's a sharp turn, just ater the half way point, and I had a quick glance to my right and saw that a number of runners were not far behind, including Graeme and then Tom.   The path is a bit narrow at this stage and you have to be careful as there are some tree roots breaking through.  I was really disappointed with my second kilometre time of 4:46 as I felt that I was working hard.  I tried to keep positive though and tried to concentrate on those in front of me.  I might even have over taking a couple of runners in the second half of the race.  I do know that no-one caught me and spurred on by Gordon Gallagher and others, I sprinted down the final strait to complete the course in a time of 12:53.

I took a little time to recover from my exertions before exchanging congratulations with the other runners and enjoying my bottle of water.  There was cake available to mark the occassion but I was feeling more like throwing up, rather than scoffing anything down.

I had placed 37th with Graeme two places behind in a time of 13:00 and Tom 41st in 13:05.  Up front Cambuslang's Gordon Robertson had won the race in a time of 9:22, with Shettleston's Claire McArthur placing first women (17th overall) in 11:06.

We chatted a little more before the runners and organisers made their way back to their workplaces or to enjoy the rest of their holiday, I joined Tom and Carol Keenan, who had ran another PB, in some post race conversation and coffee in the Winter Gardens by which tim I was able to enjoy a fruit scone and jam.

I was happy enough with my work rate and race time but disappointed to later discover that this had been my slowest ever 3k on the Green.  However, on a more positive note, it was my best race performance since November 2012. 

I was a bit shocked to see that the last time that I'd raced in the 3k on the Green was July 2012!  I'll do my best to make sure that I don't miss it as often in the future.  I'll maybe see you there on Friday 25th October.

Bellahouston Harriers Results
25 Gordon Gallacher Veteran M 00:11:35
37 Ian Goudie Super Veteran M 00:12:53
41 Tom Keenan Super Veteran M 00:13:05
47 Gael McCallum Veteran F 00:14:03
49 Carol Keenan Super Veteran F 00:14:44

Full Results

No comments:

Post a Comment