Tuesday 27 August 2013

The 30th Perth 10k Race



I’m wanting to include some races in my recovery but I’m well aware that if I were to do ones which I’ve done before then I’d be in danger of achieving PWs (personal worsts), instead I’ve decided to do ones which I have participated in, therefore guaranteeing CBs (course bests) of course SBs (seasonal bests) would be good too.

Fiona Edwards
I therefore declined the opportunity to join with loads of club mates and running buddies in doing the Paisley 10k on Sunday, deciding to race the Perth 10k instead.  My friend Claire McCracken had also taking this decision and had offered to drive, unfortunately she had an accident on Thursday and was unable to travel.  She was gutted to miss it.  As we had been the only Bellahouston Harriers within the 600 registered for the race, there would now only be one starting the 30th anniversary of the event.

However I still knew some of the other runners as Dumbarton AAC had registred for the race in some numbers. There was also a few from the local Perth club, Portobello, Kinross, Moray, Dundee, Aberdeen Metro, Edinburgh  and others that I’d met at various races during the years.  The very first person I met though was Fiona Edwards, who is well known in the east coast running scene for selling her home made tablet at races in aid of charity, as well as regularly being amongst the age grade prize winners.  

After much chatting, some warm up and numerous pit stops, I lined up with 525 others on the grass at the Fair City’s North Inch park.They seem to have a thing about Starting and Finishing on the grass in Perthshire as the Crieff race does the same.

The route had been amended to reflect, as much as possible, the original course of 1983 and race numbers had been doubled.  There was a special commemorative medal and running vest too. Well there would have been but they couldn’t find the Large size ones.  

By 11am it was a little warm and humid but other than that, almost perfect running conditions.  It was a bit congested as we made our way over the electonic timing mats and across the grass for the first 400m or so before joining the path and completing a loop and a half of the Inch.  

We then made our way northwards, along the riverside path, with the River Tay on our right hand side.  I had hoped that some of the course would be scenic and I wasn’t disappointed.  I was happy enough with my pace and was slowly picking my way up through the field.  On a few occasions, I had thought “I’ll just sit in with this pack” but I had then chased after the pack in front.  I was looking forward to my bottle of water just after the 5k point, I wasn’t feeling paticularly thirsty but I did have a bit of a drouth.  I took a wee drink and poured the rest over me, suitably refreshed the race was now about to begin.  However the path was congested as a group of ramblers were also taking advantage of the weather to enjoy the fresh air and scenery. After the very sharp turn, I thought I spied the black and red of a Dumbarton runner in the distance and set off to try and catch them but the trail path was narrow, the 6th k was to be my slowest of the race.  The route was less scenic, with trees on one side and the back of the North Muirton houses on the other, I tried to negotiate my way past my fellow runners and I caught glance of the Dumbarton runner taking a slight wrong turn ahead, before we rejoined the riverside path and was unexpectedly handed another bottle of water.

I was narrowing the gap but was still a good bit behind, I wasn’t sure if I would catch her but she had helped me to run a strong second half of the race.  The 9k mark came to soon and I was a little confused to find myself dashing across the grass towards the finishing line so soon.

Job Done
I crossed the line in a time of 46:20, to place 184th just two places and 2 seconds behind Dumbarton’s Helen Roxburgh.  I congratulated her on her PB and chatted to the other runners.  The general consensus being that the distance had been around 6:05miles, although GPSs are not great in the trees of parks, a later look at the route revealed that marshals should have directed us out towards Harley Place and then left back onto the route, prior to the 9k marker.

Of course, you can only run the race that you’re given and most people seemed happy with their ‘PBs’.  I was happy enough with my performance and had enjoyed the race, I’m glad it wasn’t a PB though.




 
RESULTS
Local club runner Greig Simpson was first over the line, in 33:08, followed by Craig Harvey, Squarda Porcini, in 33:15 and Gordon Barrie, Dundee, in 33:28.  Dumbarton pair Peter Currie and Jim Waters placed 4th and 5th in 35:15 and 35:17 respectively.

Strathearn’s Patrick O’Kane won the M50+ race, with a time of 36:11.

In the Women’s Race, Fife’s Sheena Logan placed first in 37:04; Dundee’s Louise (Lou Lou) Beveridge was runner up in 37:20 and Abroath’s Gillian Sangster earned Bronze with a time of 37:33.

Fiona Edwards won the FV50+ race with a time of 42:09.


No comments:

Post a Comment