Thursday 1 August 2013

Kilmaurs 5k 2013

Race Route from Chris Upton






I missed this great wee race last year when my car blew out on the M77, there was no problem in getting to the East Ayrshire town this year and the biggest turnout in its six years assembled at Morton Park.

I've been building up my mileage, in order to regain some fitness after my lengthy illness.  However, when I've attempted interval training my groin or hamstring have tightened, causing me to pull out of the club training sessions.  So it was with a large degree of caution that I lined up with loads of friends and running buddies, in the birth place of Nobel Peace Prize Winner Sir John Boyd Orr.

The arrival of a few summer rain showers made the evening slightly fresher than in previous years and just after 7pm, David Mitchell sent 145 of us, a record turnout, on our way.  My goals were to complete every k in under 5minutes, to feel positive and to finish without any injuries.

 I focused on a couple of runners that I know and used them to help pull me around the interesting course.  With steps, sharp turns, track, farm roads, hills and views the route offers something for every one.  With splits of 4:52; 4:58; 4:55 and 4:56, I was confident that I'd achieve my goals.
Back Racing pic by Kenny Phillips
I dug in hard in the last part of the race, which was downhill, flat and then around the track.  I managed to catch a few runners and finished strongly.  However I was still (pleasantly) shocked to look at my Garmin and see a time of 23:35. The last kilometre had taken 4:04.  Although it's nowhere near where I've been before, I was delighted with my, injury free, run. [Official time 23:38 71st]

Up front there had been a real battle, with David Phee, Graeme Cameron and Robert Gilroy placing 1,2 and 3, with times of: 15:39; 15:49 and 16:08 respectively.

In the Women's race it was the Kimaurs' sisters  Kara (17:54) and Colleen Tait (19:58) who placed first and Second with Bellahouston Harrier's Katherine Hylands (21:32) placing third, with a PB, in her final, final, race for the famous Glasgow Club.

Despite a strong showing from Ayr Seaforth, it was Kilmarnock Harriers that took both the Men's and Women's Team prizes, with Toni's Tigers winning the joggers team prize.


Thanks again to everyone who made it, once again, another awesome night in Ayrshire.




Full Results here

No comments:

Post a Comment