Friday 25 February 2011

Atkins 3k on the Green 1 of 3, 2011

Numbers 1 and 2......Claire and I
I’d been struggling with a cold since hanging about after the Kirkintilloch 12.5k race last Sunday.  However I filled up with orange juice and Lem Sip and made my way along to Glasgow Green at lunch time on Friday 25 February for the first Atkins 3k race of the year.  There was a decent turn out of some thirty-two runners assembled including: Claire Thompson, Keith Gibb, Angela Campbell, Tom Keenan, John Gilhooly and fellow Kilmarnock Harrier Al Murray.  

At 12:30 Race Director, Melanie Eynon set us off from under McLennan’s Arch and we ran, slightly downhill, into the wind.  I started off strongly but was worried that I wouldn’t be able to sustain it.  I watched as first John Gilhooly and then Claire Thompson left me in their trail.  The first kilometre had taken me 3:50 and Al Murray commented on how quick it was as he passed me.   I tucked in behind Al and we both overtook Keith Gibb.  I couldn’t keep up with Al but I managed to build a gap between Keith and myself.  I glanced over at the turn to see that there was a sizeable gap between us but there was someone else in front of him.  I was disappointed when Garmin bleeped after the second kilometre and advised me that my pace had dropped to 4:14.  I would need to dig deep if I was to get an acceptable time.  There was only one kilometre to go but how long it seemed as I ran back along the path, up the hill and past the first boat house.  There was still a bit to go but I was thinking positively and had convinced myself that the longer there was to the end, the more chance I had of making up my time.  Claire gave me a shout of encouragement and I managed to increase my pace in the final strait to cross the line in a time of 11:50.  A final kilometre of 3:46 and an acceptable performance in my 13th race of the year.

I managed to get my breath back and exchanged congratulations with the other runners before cheering home those behind me.   
Killie pair - me with Al Murray

Craig Cassidy, Mark Johnston and Marco Consani placed 1, 2 and 3 in the men’s race with Claire Thompson, Lorraine Brown (who finished just behind me) and Angela Campbell doing likewise in the women’s race.

Thanks to the volunteers Iain, Rachel and Michelle for making the event such a success.  The second of the three part series of charity races will be held on Friday 25 March at 12:30 and as usual will cost £2, hope to see you then.   Full details. 

Full Results to follow.

No comments:

Post a Comment