Saturday 11 September 2010

Swieqi 5k Race, Malta


Post Race
 My first ever race overseas was Friday’s (10 Sept) Swieqi 5k on the Isle of Malta.  I managed to find my way across the island from Golden Bay to Swieqi and uphill to Ibram Church, arriving about ten minutes before the scheduled start at 6pm.  I picked up my number and safety pins and joined the queue for the toilets.  I changed into my Scottish Veterans vest and chatted with the local runners, many from the St Patricks AC Zurrieq Wolves ASC and the Ladies Running Club, as the clock ticked down.  I was advised that the course was very hilly and had little shade and that last year the race had started at 6pm on the dot, despite the organisers being advised that a number of people were still in the toilet queue.  This year common sense prevailed.  


The race announcements were in Maltese and the only words I made out were ‘5k’ and ‘goody bag’.  They must have said something religious as the assembled runners crossed themselves, before we set off at 6:07.  The start was on the road next to the church. The road was flat and shaded and I hoped that the locals had been winding me up, however after about ten seconds the route took a right turn and we climbed, from 79m above sea level to 97m, as we turned left, then right and then left again to complete the first 400m of the course.  I was pleasantly surprised to find myself reasonably far up the field and absolutely delighted to see that the route then descended.  I pride myself on knowing how to run downhill and I managed to catch a few runners as we ran down Triq Tai-Francis for almost 400m along the side of a park.  We then turned left away from the park and through a residential area, which took us down Triq Il-Mizura and passed the 1k mark. Garmin indicated a pleasant 4:07.  The marshal pointed us down to our right and I was still catching one or two runners as we continued downhill along Triq Il Keffa for a further 500m, to 50m above sea level.  We turned right again and the park was back on our left hand side as we ran down Triq Il-Ossam before leaving the park, turning left and after reaching the lowest point of the route at 35m we started heading uphill slightly along Triq Is-Swieqi.  The sun was beating down on us and the wind was in our faces as we turned right into the rolling Triq Il Gizimin.  The second kilometre had taken 4:01.  But I wasn’t getting carried away as I had observed the ‘finish line’ painted on the road beside the ‘start line’ and knew that at some point we would be faced with an uphill climb.  The pack had spread significantly by this stage, I couldn’t hear anyone behind me and I could see an athletic lass about four places ahead of me, so I made her my target.  We then turned left, right and left again as we made our way through the houses.  I was so glad to see a couple of lads handing out bottles of water, I was less happy though when some of it went up my nose!  A quick couple of coughs and I poured some water over my head and took a quick mouthful before disposing of the bottle and catching the guy in front.  We turned left back onto Triq Is-Swieqi and headed in the other direction for a bit before turning right and passed the 3k mark on Triq Is-Sik.  The third kilometre had taken a disappointing 4:29.  I was feeling shattered now but I was still making ground on those in front.  A left turn took us onto Triq Il Tiben, I was surprised to overtake the lass and another guy as we started our climb. A left turn took us to the 4k mark at 50m above sea level.  The 4th k had taken me 4:44!  There was no chance of me having a grand stand finish as I dug in deep to keep moving.  A sharp left and a right turn took us back onto Triq Il-Ossam.  We turned up to our right and retraced our footsteps along Triq Il Keffa, uphill this time.  I was hoping to see the church but it was not to be.  Although I was shattered, I couldn't hear any runners behind me and know one caught me, I assumed that the heat, wind and hills must have been having the same effect on them.   After climbing up another 400m, I turned right back onto Triq Il-Mizura but still no church in sight.  I could hear the supporters cheering and it gave me a lift as I turned right onto Triq Ta L’Ibrag and the steepest part of the route.  The church was in sight and proudly adorned in my bright yellow Scottish Veterans vest, I ran past the supporters and back up to 79m above sea level and then turned left to cross the finish. The 5th k had also taken me 4:44, a total time of 22:07.   
I was happy with my time and my effort as the organisers presented me with my medal and I handed in my race number and received my t-shirt, fruit, water and goody bag in return – impressive for a free event!  I chatted with a few other runners and thanked the organisers before getting changed and heading down the road to wait in vain for the last bus to Golden Bay.  I had been advised that the last bus left St Andrews at 7:30pm but it never appeared, perhaps the bus driver had meant to say 17:30.  However I had taking precautions and brought enough funds to pay for a taxi back.  However there didn’t seem to be any taxis on the road.  A local shopkeeper advised me where a private hire could be had.  The taxi driver was more than happy to take the fare and after a detour to let off his original fare in Valletta we headed to my hotel, where after a bath I headed to the local bistro for a hard earned dinner washed down with a bottle of Victoria Heights Gozo red wine.  

No comments:

Post a Comment