Monday 6 September 2010

Nae Bevying and Nae Running as Temperature Rises


It was a hot, muggy night in old Glasgow town on Friday night and the sweat was pouring out of me as I ran my last run of the week.  My cold bath before watching the Scotland game on television may have been good for my leg muscles but it gave me a sore throat and the start of a cold.  No running on Saturday so I helped out by being the photographer at the Glasgow parkrun and enjoying the post event Burrell banter.  I enjoyed a quiet night in on Saturday and retired early.  I was well prepared for the Great Scottish Run Half Marathon on Sunday.  My number already pinned on my vest, my Garmin personal trainer set to 7:11 min/miles and my energy drink prepared.  However I woke up, some hours later, with a temperature and covered in perspiration.  I tried lemsips, freshly squeezed lemon juice and loads of water but my fever wasn’t for moving and with my muscles aching; I reluctantly took the decision not to race. 


At 9:15am I made my way along to Maxwell Road, where the 10k would pass by, to provide some encouragement to the runners and take some photographs.

The first athlete to approach was Bryan Stevens in the wheelchair event Bryan was well in front, finishing in 32:28.  Megan Dawson-Farrell was second and first woman in 46:42 and John Mcdermott finished in 1:47:34.

Matthew Gillespie
Just before the first runner arrived, Chris Upson appeared on his bike and advised me that young Matthew Gillespie was leading by a significant gap over Robert Gilroy and that’s the way it was to remain for the rest of the race.  Matt finished in 31:12, with wee Robert in 32:32.  Jamie Reid earned third spot with a time of 33:18.  Youngsters Luke Traynor and Alistair Stanley did well, finishing in 33:51 and 36:35 respectively.  Bryan ‘the commentator’ Burnett clocked 37:49, Jim Buick 39:29 and Tom Keenan 45:40.

Beth Potter

In the women’s race it was another youngster to the fore, with Beth Potter finishing in 34:39, followed by Central AC’s dynamic duo of Emma Raven and Fiona Thompson, who both finished in 36:18.  There were good runs for: Lyndsay MacNeill (37:53); Amanda Wilson (39:14); Claire McCracken (39:19); Susan Finch (39:54); Michelle Sandison (40:20); Claire Thomson (40:56) and Jenny Telford (41:28).  Jill Knowles had forgotten her chip but still ran, enjoying her run, just in front of Jenny.  Sarah (Alistair) Munn clocked 43:03.
I picked up the Sunday Paper and headed home for a quick breakfast before popping around the corner to Nithsdale Drive to take in the GSR Half Marathon. 


GSR Half Marathon

Mark Telford
Mark Telford was the first athlete to come in sight, winning the wheelchair event in 56:25, followed by Ross Low in 1:04:44 and Jane Egan in 1:25:49.

Richard Skillen
There was a close race in the men’s event with Ethiopia’s Hailu Mekonnen winning in a remarkable time of 1:01:53, just 5 seconds ahead of Kenya’s Jason MboteSouth Africa’s Modike Lucky Mohale placed third in 1:03:20, with Shettleston’s Eritrean trio of Tsegeza Woldmichael, Tsegai Tewelde and Tewelderhan Mengisteab finishing in 1:03:47; 1:05:21 and 1:06:56 respectively.  First home grown athlete was James Connor in 1:07:52 in ninth place, followed immediately by Ross Houston in 1:07:52; Mike Gillespie in 1:08:12.  David Millar was the first Ayrshire finisher in 1:08:57 with Kilmarnock athlete Colin McGill, representing Edinburgh AC, finishing in 1:14:59.

First in the women’s race was Caroline Kilel of Kenya in 1:09:11, ahead of Ethiopian pair Eyerusalem Kuma in 1:11:15 and Etalemahu Kidane in 1:11:25.  Fiona Matheson continued her great form to place first veteran, first Brit and first Scot in a time of 1:18:54, closely followed by: Colette Fagan (1:19:31); Jenny Maclean (first vet 35 in 1:19:31) and Mhari Duff (1:20:07).  Alison Docherty finished in 1:24:32 and Louise Beveridge in 1:26:13. Ayr's Laura Wallace may have been the first Ayrshire lass, finishing in 1:30:09, if Kilmarnock's Avril Mason, representing Shettleston, hadn't finished in 1:24:41.
Laura Wallace


However with the temperature rising and the wind blowing a gale right into the runners on Pollokshaws Road, times started to increase and many PB aspirations were dropped as runners battled against the elements for the final 5k.     

I saw loads of runners that I know including a high turnout of Bellahouston Road Runners, Scotland’s fastest growing club Bellahouston Harriers and many more that I’ve met at races over the years, far  too many to mention here but have a look at the photos. 

Kilmarnock Harriers
Richard Skillen was the first Kilmarnock Harrier, finishing in 1:33:58, followed by: David Lowdon (1:41:31); Craig Shearin (1:41:41); John Mcclarty (1:41:42); Brian Darroch (1:43:45); Gillian Mullen (1:50:15); Michelle Goldie (1:52:12); Karen Quinn (1:54:24) and AN Other(s).
 

Temperature Takes its Toll

I was starting to feel dizzy and could hardly focus any more so I made my way back homeward, unfortunately I noticed a guy collapsed on the road opposite McDonalds.  An Ayrshire lass, who was making her way home after completing the 10k, had stopped to help him but the event organisers and police were ignoring him.  I called them over but the lad had lost it and was angry with himself and everyone else for the condition he was in.  Whilst the event organisers decided they wanted nothing to do with him, I convinced the policeman that he was gaga and to call an ambulance.  His wife and then the ambulance arrived, which allowed me to make my way home for another lemsip and back to my sick bed.


No comments:

Post a Comment