Monday 13 September 2010

Golden Sands to St Paul's Bay & Back - My Malta 10k


 After my 5k race in Friday’s heat, the weather was a bit cooler on Saturday evening so I decided to run a little further.  I settled for 6.55k, which included an elevation gain of 109m, which I had to endure both on the way out and back. Route

Unfortunately on Sunday evening the weather was at its hottest yet, which was a shame as I wanted to run at least 10k.  I ascended the 30m from Golden Sands to the dusty road which leads to the other side of the island and St Paul’s Bay.  I was pleasantly surprised to see another couple of guys, at different points, also running along the fairly busy road.  I arrived at the pleasant coastal town and headed along past the locals and tourists on the narrow promenade until Garmin indicated that I had run 5k.  At this point I was 4m above sea level but I kept going a little further uphill until I came to an appropriate turning point and headed back.  By the time I had reached the roundabout and the slight climb out of St Paul’s the sun had gone down and been replaced with a head on breeze.  My sun glasses were still useful on the way back though, as they kept the dust thrown up by the cars out of my eyes.  I was really enjoying my run and was feeling good as I climbed up to the 50m high point before turning right and running downhill to the hotel at 20m.  A total of 10:09k in 51:26.  Route
After a short warm down I headed up to my room in my sweat soaked vest and to the balcony for my stretches as my bath poured and I replaced some of the lost fluids.  I then headed down to Apple’s Eye where I sat under the stars, overlooking the bay and enjoyed the local tasty dish of Bragjoli, washed down with the local Medina red wine.


10k Route

No comments:

Post a Comment